Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this isn't exactly about taming and bonding, but I couldn't find a better place to ask about playgyms for budgies. I want to use a piece of plywood for the base of the playgym, and also possibly as some higher platforms. However, I have heard that plywood is dangerous for budgies. Is it really that bad for them, even just as a base?
If it is, I have some pine shims that I could use to cover the top of the plywood like a deck, sort of. Would putting those on top of the plywood help at all? If not, and I need a different base altogether, where can one get cheap wood that's the right shape? All the wood I could find were as planks for houses, so they were too thin and long. I'd like the dimensions to be around 24 inches x 16 inches, if possible.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I feel like untreated plywood would be fine- the issue is that the chemicals they use to treat wood are toxic if the birds chew on the wood.

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,793 Posts
Bird play gyms can be made with wood bases, or you can use a square (in your desired size) of flooring with a ‘lip’ around the edge made of wood. I’d glue together with either Elmer’s white glue or hot glue. Alternately, if you use staples or small finishing nails, be hyper-aware of birds not getting to it, as they can not only be zinc, but dangerously sharp if the birds chew the wood near a staple or nail. You want to have a surface that is hard and smooth and will not be porous. Or else you’ll have unsightly poop stains, and be impossible to thoroughly clean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard bad things about the glue they use in plywood though... If they don't chew on it, will they be fine? Also, where can I find flooring in a square rather than planks? Any stores in mind?

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,793 Posts
Elmer’s school glue or hot glue is fine. Go to a home improvement store or flooring store and ask if they have scraps. Or if you buy more, you could buy several square feet of it and use it under the cage to protect a table or the floor. You could also use linoleum which can be cut in the desired shape/size.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have some Elmer's wood glue at home. It says non-toxic on it. Would that be ok? Also, just wanted to clarify, plywood is only dangerous if the birds chew on it, right? Like it can't hurt them if they just stand on it. Sorry if I'm nagging, I just would hate to hurt them.:001_smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.