Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted my first albino budgie. Do albinos/lutinos/creaminos/lacewings have any vision problems due to their red eyes? Do their irises always develop rings, or does that depend upon their masked mutations?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Humm, my two ino's seem to see just fine. Mind you I've only had the two so not much to compare too. They have no problem pinning food from a distance though :)

Pekoe's iris rings are very faint especially when compared to Chai's.

Interesting questions!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
It is possible that they might have difficulty reading the small print but I doubt if they'd find it interesting anyway

I currently have about 30 lacewing and about 10 ino budgies and their eyesight is fine.

I did have a lutino hen that was blind but I have had a few blind birds of other mutations as well so it can happen to anyone

Albinos/lutinos/creaminos/lacewings will all develop iris rings if they are not influenced by other mutations

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
I agree with Nev, I have not noticed any problems with any of mines eyesight, all of mine developed Iris rings but I know their genetics and there was no hidden mutation which would have stopped it in my birds.

G

·
I have 2 albinos and 1 creamino. Their eyesights seem fine and nothing short of vision problem. All 3 of them develop irises in their eyes as they are all adults now.

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, everyone, for your responses! :D

It is possible that they might have difficulty reading the small print but I doubt if they'd find it interesting anyway
lol Nev. Well, I have trouble, too, because I'm middle-aged. :p

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
As far as I know, the iris rings do not affect budgies vision at all, it is simply something that happens to their eyes as they mature. Albinos, Lutinos and Creaminos will all develop iris rings unless they are masking recessive pied. Dark eyed clears (which look like INOs but have plum or black eyes) do not get them though.

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I'm pleased to know my hen's red eyes are probably fine. I'll keep an eye out -- no pun intended :p -- for iris rings. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.