Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first off he is beginning his first molt. I've been noticing lots of white downy feathers and some small blue feathers floating around. He's also been preening and scratching quite a bit.

Anyway, when I first brought him home he was a bright blue/purple with a white face. Now, I see a color change (very slight), if that's possible.

On his head, his feathers look to have a slight yellowish tone instead of pure white behind the black bars. I took these pictures in natural sunlight, no flash, and didn't retouch or edit (with exception of cropping). These are the best I could get that showed what I see in real life.

In the middle of his belly his blueish purpleish feathers kind of appear to be a turquoise color. His tail feathers are also looking turquoise and not so much dark blue and purple anymore.

Am I seeing things? Does this normally happen to budgies, to change colors during molt?

Also, after looking at these pictures, could someone tell me what his mutation is? I'm curious and I'm not any good at picking them out yet.

·
Registered
21,530 Posts
Oooo he is so cute! No you are not going crazy or seeing things. I thought I was too when I found a blue feather at the bottom of my all yellow budgie's cage. After her first moult she developed a few blue feathers and her yellowness did get brighter.
I call them her blue tattoos ;) I was assured my members here that it is normal and feathers can change colour.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
My lutino went from a pale lemony yellow to a deeper buttery yellow.

When my mom took her bird home from the breeder he had a soft green belly and pale yellow face and wings with very faded gray markings. After his first big moult bright blue cheek patches came in and his green is now a striking olive color. The yellow brightened up and his gray markings darkened and are more defined. My husband hadn't been over to my parents' house in a while and literally thought he was a different bird. It was quite remarkable!

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
He looks like a normal cobalt blue violet :)

If his face is yellow a little bit( it almost looks like it could be, but bright light often washes it out until it brightens up after their first moult) it could change his body color even more as he gets his new feathers in :)

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
He looks like a normal cobalt blue violet :)

If his face is yellow a little bit( it almost looks like it could be, but bright light often washes it out until it brightens up after their first moult) it could change his body color even more as he gets his new feathers in :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Cobalt blue violet was my guess; I wasn't too sure if maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me with the purple, though. And I didn't even think about figuring out his wing pattern - too complicated for me right now.

I guess I was nervous that he might lose his pretty purple color and start turning green or something. I'd still love him just as much anyway, but the purple is so cute. :)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Oh! My Lutino is pale yellow and that's what attracted me to her! She has a lot of pale/white feathers esp on her wing tips so i hope she doesn't get darker!

Your little one is adorable!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.