Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble finding any "proper" Fullbody clearwing (white-wing or yellow-wings) in South-Africa...at least not to buy readily, as eveyone holds on to what they have!.....

... I was told recently that such fbc clearwing (or greywing) can actually be bred from Ino's or other Clearwings (pet-type birds, if no Exhibition-type is available)....

BUT I always thought (& such view is still probably correct) that it's best to start-off with the correct genes, rather that having the trouble breeding it from a "small / low quality gene pool"?!

What would the chance be that the clearwing birds out there actually carry the "full body colour clearwing"-gene....?

...and if U do find some candidates, how do U distinguish such from normal clearwings (avoiding clearwing pieds of course)..

Any similar experience you may have had?...or do I need to import such fbc cw birds from AUS or UK?

Thanks 2 all!
JacodK

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The two mutations are clearwing & greywing. When they are combined you get a full body greywing (not full body clearwing)

Good clearwing budgies seem to be scarce everywhere. Most of those that are available have wing markings that are far from clear

Clearwing is a recessive gene so you would only be able to breed clearwings from birds of other mutations if both of the pair were carrying the clearwing gene

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nev,

Thanks, maybe I was thinking about "full body colour clearwing" as some exhibition websites refer to such "clearwings" that have "vivid / high quality" colour in the body...maybe this in end the same as what you referred to as "full body greywing", where (due to scarcity of clearwing) the greywing gets used as substitute....

...but what I'm actually asking - Is the "full body colour"-part of both the full body "cw & gw"-genes not very important or is this aspect just dependant on the quality bird / colouration (depth thereof, considering factors such as feather structure, etc)...

...so the secondary question remian if the good "quality colour" in the body (as referred to as existing in 'full body colour clearwings') can only be obtained from clearwings / greywings...or is there a specific genetic link between the "good body colour, that is always associated with the clearwing"...which, if so, would then obviously exclude the greywing-gene from achieving such "good body colour"...or specific fbcolour- clearwing gene (needed for rainbow budgy breeding)

I hope my request is clearer...thanks for ur time! (having just noted the high number of birds u keep...ur time must be valuable, so this is appreciated!)
JacodK

·
3,676 Posts
If the websites you visited call their birds full body clearwings they are using incorrect terminology. Like any other mutation they can be selectively bred to produce brighter shades

A clearwing should have body colour almost as bright as a normal and only the wing markings should be diluted. A greywing has about 50% dilution of both the body colour and the wing markings.

When the two mutations are combined you get a brighter body colour from the clearwing and the wing markings from the greywing. This bird is called a full body greywing. Usually it is not as bright as a clearwing

If a full body greywing is mated to a dilute you will get some greywings and some clearwings

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hallos Nev90,

Your response is of great help understanding my flock's genetics...especially my misunderstanding in the FBC GW (not CW) description...

...of similar value is the "loss of colour (dilution)" between the 2 GW & CW mutation genes ...now at least I'll (hopefully) be able to distinguish between them!

# May I ask, given that "gene / mutation, etc" descriptions are so important, what Malcolm Freemantle meant when referring to "Whites / Yellows" for use in improving ClearWings?

To avoid "misquoting" him, here is the link:
http://www.bestofbreeds.net/cbba/article2.htm

#Last question - would "Rain-drop" (see below) be of FBC GW (Opaline & YF Mutant I) gene type or Clearwing (with others) only?
Budgy11-2010_0078e1s.jpg

It does look as if the colour in Wing markings are of same depth as the body colour (or am I having it wrong again)...looks like 1 needs years of patience to get the experience!

Thanks 4 now...

Nice day to U..
JacodK

PS- Can't believe I have only this "baby photo" of her, but I guess she hasn't been "out&about" much recently to pose for photos...

...now that I'm expecting the first clutch of 3 babies of her own...can't wait to see their feathers...(dad is "Royal-Blue",YF Opaline Spangle)

·
3,676 Posts
Here we refer to clearwing as clear flights - is clearwing generally completely 'Clear Wings'?

Thanks
Clearwing and clearflight are completely different mutations.

Clearflight is a pied mutation that has clear flight feathers, it is a dominant mutation.

A Clearwing (formerly called white wing or yellow wing) has heavily diluted wing markings and it is a recessive mutation

·
3,676 Posts
# May I ask, given that "gene / mutation, etc" descriptions are so important, what Malcolm Freemantle meant when referring to "Whites / Yellows" for use in improving ClearWings?
Whites & yellows are the old fashioned names for the mutation we now call dilute. They are also sometimes referred to as "selfs". These can be used because the dilute mutation is recessive to clearwing so the chicks will still be visual clearwings. Originally the clearwings were mostly small birds and show breeders mated them to larger birds of other mutations to increase their size

#Last question - would "Rain-drop" (see below) be of FBC GW (Opaline & YF Mutant I) gene type or Clearwing (with others) only?
I think that her wing markings are too dark for a clearwing but she has very bright body colour. I think she is a T1 yellow face opaline full body greywing

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very much thanks Nev,

If only "Rain-drop" were of a larger size...then I had better prospects to go forward!

When can we see some of your birds?...am I right, you haven't got any published here on TB yet?

Good day there!
JacodK

·
3,676 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Do you have any rainbow budgie pictures you could share with us nev? I love them and want to breed them but I cannot find a proper Clearwing anywhere. Especially a male.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hi Angel226,

Yes, it's difficult to find the Clearwings...even more so good examples to buy!

Looks like if U find any ...U have to go "steal them" immediately!.....not that I propose that, but they are rare...

# Here are a few pictures of Yellow-wings & White-wings (Clear wings in the Yellow & Blue series birds respectively)...I found on the website:
http://www.clearwing.co.uk/
White-wing.jpg

Yellow-wing.jpg
..there are more interesting stuff there..do make a visit!

# Here are a few fine examples of "Rainbow budgies"...but not all may conform to the "proper" WBO description:
02_08_2010-Wellis-33.jpg

02_08_2010-Wellis-13_sm.jpg

02_08_2010-Wellis-46-sm.jpg

Credit goes to Sabrina Kaiser for these photos from her website:
http://www.vogelzucht-kaiser.de/

Good luck "hunting" for them!
JacodK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.