Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my two budgies, Kratos and Frightful, for about three years now. Lately I've been seeing that my male budgie, Kratos, has very dry feet, and I even see some yellow on it, it's not crusty but it just looks like a yellow spot.
Frightful, however, she doesn't have dry as feet but she just finished molting and she has a dry cere, no holes or crust, just dry. It has always been dry but I never noticed it until now. Do you think they have scaly mites?

I did a bunch of research and I took out one of the wooden dowel perches and I realized it had some small holes in it, I don't know if this is caused by the mites or because my birds chewed on it. The two destroyed an earlier wooden perch because the chewed on it so much.

What are some treatments just in case they do have them? I heard that vaseline (petroleum jelly) works, vegetable oil and olive oil works too. I can't take them to the vet because the nearest one is an two hours away and doesn't know much about birds.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you're in the UK, then I know for definite that you can find a lotion for scaly mites. I actually have a bottle in my budgie first aid kit!

I've read that vaseline can help, too, but you have to keep applying it. and with their beaks, budgies REALLY don't like to be prodded about there.

I'm not an expert, so don't take my word for it entirely, but if in doubt, disinfect the perch completely and leave it to dry through.

Also, for the budgie experts here, a picture would help them more! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't post a picture because it crashes whenever I try to put one in, sorry :(

I will try to describe it the best I can.

Kratos' legs look normal but if you look closely the very tip, near the claw some of the scales **** up, just a little bit and only like two or three on each foot, so not many scales sticking up. However, his legs do have yellowish spots on them. They kind of blend in with his legs but you have to look closely or shine a flashlight onto it. The yellow spots aren't scales or crust, it just looks like discoloration. It doesn't look like any build up or anything, just a little spot of yellow on some parts of his feet. His legs aren't normally yellow though.

Frightful just has a dry cere, no holes and no crust. It just looks dry, not even flaky. Kratos' cere is nice and smooth, but Frightful has a little dryness to them.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Welcome to talk budgies Buckeye...:)

I would just keep applying a light coat of olive oil on their leg's, and beak's for now. Use caution not to block their nares, and see how thing's look after a week or so...:)

The forum is full of great info, check the sticky's out at the top of each sub forum...:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.