Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought what I think is a recessive pied, but it's color is a little less vibrant than it could be. When I did me research it just showed dominant and recessive pieds, but after reading on this website, there seem to be cinnamon recessive pieds, dilute recessive pieds, etc. Does any of that matter for breeding if I'm trying to produce some DEC babies?

G

·
Trying to understand the genes that make a DEC would help you to understand it better.

DEC has one dominant gene (Clearflight) and two recessive genes (pied) in single budgie. So in order to produce a DEC, one must have the Clearflight gene and the 2 recessive pied genes.

DEC x rec. pied = 50% DEC + 50% rec. pied

DEC x normal = 50% Clearflight/rec.pied + 50% normal/rec.pied

DEC x Clearflight = 100% DEC

If dilutes or cinnamons is present in 1 parent, then it would be governed by the dilute or cinnamon mutation results. Dilute is a recessive gene (both parents must have this dilute gene in order to produce dilute offsprings). Cinnamons are sex-linked mutation (cocks must have 2 cinnamon genes while hens only have 1 cinnamon gene).

Hope it helps. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Ok, so the awesome people on this forum said I have a cinnamon light greet recessive pied. So, are you saying the recessiive cinnamon gene means she won't have DEC babies?

I see what also might be a recessive clear at the store, except she has dark marks all the way up her wings and a little blotch of green on her neck. Does that make her any more likelt to be a dominant pied?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
matter if white or yellow clearflight?

also, if I find a clearflight, does it matter if it's white or yellow? If it's white would I get both solid yellow and solid white DEC?

G

·
Ok, so the awesome people on this forum said I have a cinnamon light greet recessive pied. So, are you saying the recessiive cinnamon gene means she won't have DEC babies?

I see what also might be a recessive clear at the store, except she has dark marks all the way up her wings and a little blotch of green on her neck. Does that make her any more likelt to be a dominant pied?
Hi Stephanie

It doesn't matter whether a recessive pied budgie has a 2nd mutation in her gene, which is cinnamon in your bird. So the resulting offsprings are shown.

DEC (****) x Cinnamon rec. pied (hen) = 50% DEC + 50% rec. pied (all male offsprings would be split for cinnamon)

Regarding your other question about dominant pied and rec. pied, the visual distinguishable features are as follows :

1. Dominant pied has an iris in the eyes, its legs colour is a mottled blue grey colour, its flight feathers are whitish colour, its beak is non-orangy colour.

2. Recessive pied has NO iris ring in the eyes, its leg colour is orange colour, its flight feathers are non-white colour, its beak is an orangy colour.

G

·
also, if I find a clearflight, does it matter if it's white or yellow? If it's white would I get both solid yellow and solid white DEC?
Yes, it matters. Green series birds are dominant over blue series birds.

In this case, if you get a blue series clearflight pied, all offsprings would be WHITE DEC provided the **** is a white DEC.

If you get a green series clearflight pied, all offsprings would be YELLOW DEC provided the **** is a a white DEC and the said clearflight hen is NOt split for blue.

If you get a green series clearflight pied, all offsprings would be 50% YELLOW DEC and 50% white DEC provided the **** is a a white DEC and the said clearflight hen is SPLIT for blue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.