Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my birds had a very dark brown, large cere due to being in condition (it sorta puffed out over time and became large, as opposed to when she initially came into condition and her cere was still small). She is slowly coming out of condition, and the bottom of her cere appears to curl outwards and upwards. I only ever let my two out supervised and they are kept in their own separate cages at all times except night time when I put them to bed (as they won't sleep unless together). They're both going through a tough moult.

Well, during supervised time today, I'm sitting at the PC watching a show, those two are just sitting in one cage which they often do without issue as the doors are open and they can freely fly about. A fight broke out and it all happened in an instant. They both tangled together and dropped to the cage floor. I immediately separated them but the bird mentioned at the start had a cracked cere, sort of like when a scab is fully healed and peels off on one side. She had no other damage, wasn't bleeding. She rubbed her cere against the cage door and the peeled portion of her cere fell off, revealing the white cere underneath that they get when they come out of condition. I picked up the fallen piece of cere and it was very soft and malleable, not hard at all.

So my question is, is it normal for the cere to peel off? I initially thought the fight was so aggressive that my other budgie had bitten the cere off. Anyway, these two morons aren't going to be getting any outside playtime together anymore. I'm going to start decreasing their daylight hours because I'm sick to death of their broodiness. My life would be so much better if they just go on together.

·
Super Moderator
5,428 Posts
It sounds like cere hypertrophy which is a keratinization of the cere and is a build up of keratin that thickens and sometimes curves upwards. It is usually only a problem if it begins to block the nares. It is fine that it came off, I used to have a hen that had this happen and the vet used to just peel it off but I would not advise doing that yourself.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right then, on the topic of decreasing their daylight hours, the only thing stopping me from slowly transitioning them is the fact that I've got no way of automatically opening and closing the curtains. I get home between 4-4:40pm, and I used to put them to bed at 7:30pm but I started missing them too much, so I've instead been putting them to sleep at 8:30pm. The morning sunlight blasts through the big french windows, so I need to draw the curtains so that they stay asleep until I wake them up at 6:30am. If I don't draw the curtains, they're up with the sun at 5am.

Now, I can just keep the curtains closed and leave for work and have my lamps automatically turn on, but the number 1 reason I've not done that is because the thought of leaving them at home without natural sunlight soaking the room makes me sad, because I know how much the sun perks them up and makes them happy. They sing and whistle and sit by the window to just look outside. Leaving the curtains closed until I'm back home isn't something I want to do, because they miss the sunniest hours of the day. I was going to buy one of those automatic curtain closers, does anyone else have any suggestions?

If I can sort this curtain / sunlight issue out, my plan is to have them sleep at 8:30pm and wake up at 12:30pm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.