Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,437 Posts
Aww, what a cutie!!
EDIT: From the photo the cere looks very pale, but I can see from the other photos you posted of Rae that his cere does appear to be a clear purplish pink color. Is this how it looks in real life? If so, he is a boy :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a girl

Why's it got to be so difficult sometimes.

You were right the first time. I think I saw it said you thought he was a girl. But then gave an edit based on my other posts pictures.

For 9 months I thought he was a boy. His name was Ray. He had a even deep purple cere when i first picked him out. Even the breeder/owner thought he was a boy and commented on how dark it was. Then he was that lighter purple when I brought him home. For months he was that pinkish purple. Then around 6 or 7 months old he started going blue. A light blue but I figured he was still immature and hadn't come into season.

Now at 10 months her cere is white and she's egged. I'm still getting used to calling her, her.

Why does this have to be so difficult.

I've read the section on how to discourage breeding.

Thank you for your response and edit. It makes me feel better about being wrong and proves how tricky it can be. But you were right to begin with. 😁

I'm afraid my new baby's purple will turn on me.. it's why I wanted to call him Oli... for Oliver or Olivia... but I keep messing up and calling him Oscar instead of Oliver... might have to change it to Oscar instead

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
Rae is a beautiful little girl.

Oliver's cere is SO purple I can't imagine it ever changing so I'm sure you are safe with either Oliver or Oscar as his name.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for your replies, and your reassurance on the new baby. After last year's mixed up sexing I've been nervous. I had really wanted all boys.

And thank you for the compliment on Rae. She is the sweetest most laid back budgie I have. I'm hoping O (still on the fence between Oscar and Oliver) grows up to follow in her footsteps.

·
Super Moderator
18,437 Posts
Ah well, there are always exceptions! Because cere color is a variable trait it’s always the case that some are just too in between! At least we know for sure now 🤭🤣 She’s beautiful :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm beginning to wonder if she has hormone problems. Her cere was white when she egged. Not the tan or brown i would have expected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.