Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to my research, a Standard Rainbow Budgie has the combination of the following Mutations (Blue Series Budgies only):

• Yellowface or Goldenface
  • Greywing or Cinnamon,
  • Preferably combined with Spangle
  • Clearwing
  • Opaline
My research summarises that these mutations show a nice dissipation of different colours in a single bird, such as yellow, blue, green, grey, brown, which is why it is set as the Standard.

Whereas I've also come across various articles that separates the standard from a distinct combination which can exhibit smooth transition of colours to display the "Rainbow Effect."

So they say that a true Rainbow should be a dominant pied, as the clear patch of the dominant pied "band" across the belly adds a visual transition of colours that is also affected by Goldenface and Yellowface II.

The standard for True Rainbows:

• Yellowface or Golden Face,
  • Greywing or Cinnamon
  • Opaline
  • Clearwing
  • Dominant Pied
  • Blue Series Budgie
So I have also come across 2 pictures of a budgie which they called a form of the "True Rainbow" which exhibits the Rainbow Effect.

The Breeder said that this is a Cinnamon Goldenface Opaline Dominant Pied Violet.

Quoting the Breeder:

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
A true rainbow is a blue series clearwing opaline yellow or golden face :) Other things can be added such as pied, bit this is not required to be a true rainbow.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Greywing, cinnamon, spangle and dominant pied would not be present in a true rainbow budgie. The World Budgerigar Organisation defines a rainbow as yellow face blue series opaline whitewing (clearwing is a more common term for a whitewing). The yellow face can be any of the three types and any shade of blue is acceptable

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
True rainbow mutations like everyone has said is a mix of opaline, clearwing, blue series yellow face. True rainbows don't have any other makings. The budgie you have shown isn't a true rainbow. It looks like an opaline, dominant pied blue violet, yellow face, grey wing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.