Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please read the attached information for details. This is simply an excerpt from the article:

Cocoa Mulch contains the chemical theobromine, which is the same chemical found in chocolate that vets have been warning about for years.

It is just as toxic to cats as it is dogs, but cats tend to be picky eaters and usually wont chew on, or eat something that doesn't taste good to them.

Most dogs will swallow things regardless of taste or smell, and they also will ingest larger quantities at a time. Dogs also have more of an interest in sweet smells so the cocoa mulch can become a large problem for them.

According to the ASPCA, the effect the mulch can have on a dog depends on the size of the dog, amount ingested, and the amount of theobromine in the mulch.​

http://thegardengeeks.net/garden-articles/misc-gardening/853-beware-cocoa-mulch-with-pets

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,149 Posts
I'll be honest, this title had me a little nervous that it may have been little Kylie that was in trouble. Thank goodness it's not!

This is some good info, Thanks Miss Deb! We have dogs and cats running around, so this will help immensely when Lonny's parents' go to mulch this year. I'll let her know ASAP!

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,978 Posts
A great thing to share.

There are a few things that you need to watch having dogs. Holly can't manage big walks any more so it's a small mercy to know she doesn't come in to contact with anything like that.
And thankfully cats aren't tempted by sweet things as a rule.

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry you were concerned about Kylie and thank you for thinking of him, Kristen. :hug:

I just wanted to get the information out to as many dog owners as possible so no one's dog is accidentally poisoned.

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts
Great info Deborah, thank's for sharing....:2thumbs:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.