Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
This are my birds Petter (M) Paul (F) names by my 5 year old boy. they are with us since this April. Paul is very active & very curious. she will inspects within a minute of any new thing is introduced to her. she actively flies in the house.
Peter is totally opposite to Paul and not much active, he is not bothered with any new things.

Paul is very dominating in the cage, she will never allow peter to eat at peace, she will pin him down with her claws or drives him away by pecking & eat the seeds. but when they are out of the cage she always guards him & never leaves him alone.
Petter grows only one tail feather & when it about 3 inch long it falls off. because of this he cant fly high like paul. he just fly low to about 10 - 15 ft distance.
Out of the cage peter spends his time on the floor. Paul flies around & later she too spends most time on ground with peter.
we tried putting them into separate cages & placed in the same room. But when we let them out both get together in one cage.
My Concerns.
  • how to correct Paul's behavior
  • why is petter's tail falls off.
  • I noticed some scratches in petters beak (Pic attached). is it normal.
  • what are their mutations.
Thanks & Regards

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts
Both your birds appear to have a case of scaly face mites which is what you are seeing on the beak, this needs to be treated with the proper medication before it gets worse, do you have an avian vet? Since Paul is aggressive it could be that she is actually pulling Petter's tail and causing it to fall out, have you ever seen her do that? I would keep them in separate cages you cannot have them living together in the same cage if Paul is domineering to the point of physical aggression and not letting Petter eat, and it is also causing too much stress for him.

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Cody has provided you with excellent advice.

It is very important that the scaly face mites be treated appropriately.
Ivermetin "spot-on" treatment should be applied to the back of the neck ONE DROP ONLY right between the shoulder blades.

As the scaly face mites are bad, you may need to have a second application done two weeks later.
Your Avian Veterinarian can advise you.
You also need to ensure that you thoroughly clean and disinfect all surfaces that the budgie's have had contact with.
That includes food and water dishes, toys, perches, cage bars, etc.

Paul is much too aggressive to allow the two budgies to share a cage. You need to separate them into individual cages. Not doing so is risking Peter's health and well-being. Paul could seriously injure (or even kill him) and the bullying is taking an emotional toll on his mental well being.
I agree with Cody -- there is a good chance that Paul is pulling Peter's tail feathers out.

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

How old are these budgies?
I recommend you move them into separate cages right away.
You can give them out-of-cage time together BUT you need to have them under constant supervision the entire time.
If Paul begins bullying Peter, then she needs to go back into her cage. If you notice Peter trying to mate with Paul, then he needs to go back in his cage.
As you have a mixed gender pair, it is very important you do everything necessary to prevent breeding.
Never put anything that could be used as a nesting site in Paul's cage.

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Avian Association of Veterinarians

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou Cody and FaeryBee for your advice.

No Paul is not pulling the feathers. I have seen peters tail feather falling off when he was alone in separate cage.
I treated them with Ivermectin as suggested. and even smeared petroleum jelly as many breeders suggested in Youtube. when separated they make lot of noise calling each other. So they are placed in separated cage but kept close to each other & left out one at a time.
They may be 9 months to an year old. still we don't have plans for their breeding.

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
If you use petroleum jelly, please be sure you never get it in their nares and only use a very light coating.

I'm very glad to hear you've separated the two of them. That is going to be best for Peter's well-being.

I highly recommend you take Peter to the Avian Vet to determine if there is an underlying condition causing the feather loss.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.