Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a little unsure about thie budgie. Is he dominant pied or clearflight pied?
He has blue cere, blue/white cheek patches ( like spangle) , blue feet, black eyes, white tail

So, cobalt ( violet!) spangle dom/clearflight pied?

And if paired with his hen ( yellowface 1 albino), the babies will be spangle, dom/clearflight pied, normals, or combinations of the 3 ; males / ino, half yf?

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
He looks like a SF spangle SF dominant pied violet sky blue. Here's a good site which explains the difference between the pieds: http://www.budgie-info.com/budgie-varieties-with-pied-markings.html

The female has black eyes and iris rings - which means she's a YF1 DF spangle. (unless there's a distinct red in her eyes which the pics don't show)

50% of the babies will be DF spangle, 50% will be SF spangle.
50% will be whiteface, 50% will be yellowface
The female could be masking various genes, but at least 50% of the babies will be violet and 50% will be dominant pied.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The owner assured me that the female was red eyes, but not shown very well in photos. - creamino

What i understand from that article is that he could be a heavily marked clearflight pied.

So, it will mean that pairing a creamino hen with a sf spangle clearflight pied cobalt ( i posted some more pphotos with the colour - darker than sky blue) violet male, the outcome will be:
- half clearflighy pied ( or dominant, if this is what he is)
- half normals

- half spangle
- half normals

- half yf
- half white face

- half violet?
- half cobalt/sky blue

- all males / ino
- females normals

Attachments

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I'm not sure if he is dominant pied or clearflight pied. He is marked more like a clearflight pied but you need some breeding results to be sure either way. He is spangle

The hen appears to have black eyes in these pictures. The eye lids and skin around the eyes also appear to be dark which is not usual for an ino

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure if he is dominant pied or clearflight pied. He is marked more like a clearflight pied but you need some breeding results to be sure either way. He is spangle

The hen appears to have black eyes in these pictures. The eye lids and skin around the eyes also appear to be dark which is not usual for an ino
Thank you Nev.

Here is the single picture in which she shows red eyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
OK, in pic 4 I see the clear patch at the back of the birds head to indicate that it can be a CFP.

·
Registered
428 Posts
What i understand from that article is that he could be a heavily marked clearflight pied.
Here's the part of that article which makes me think your bird is a dominant pied: "The main thing that distinguishes a Dominant Pied from a heavily marked Clearflight is the location of the pied patches. In a Clearflight the mask color may creep down the chest a bit. In a Dominant Pied the definition between the mask and body color is usually normal and the pied patches appear further down the body." Your bird has blue right next to his mask like normal and the pied patch is further down. Though not as far down as you'd normally expect for a dominant pied. As Nev said, the only way to know for sure is by breeding. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you.

They are not mine. A friend asked me to tell him what the outcome might be.

And yes, we will see what he is, by breeding - which they already does ( 2 egg for the moment :) )

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
As Nev said, the breeding will tell. I bred a bird that was very similar. Looked like a clear flight pied. But he couldn't have been because his dad was a dominant pied and mom was normal. He had a white spot on the back of his head and his entire body was blue. Only his flights were white. Had someone bought him from a store and posted his pic, everyone would have called him a clear flight. And everyone would have been wrong. Ha ha ha! :D Be sure to post pics of the babies when they feather up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.