Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,

genetics question!

i have been thinking a bit about dom pieds and spangles.

do you consider dom pied to be an incompletely dominant variety with three distinct forms like spangles? or is the df dom pied not always different? i do not have enough experience with them to know if they are always heavily pieded or sometimes look like sf.

if they always have three distinct forms (non pied, sf pied and df pied) then i would say the inheritance is incompletely dominant rather than dominant.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
hi there,

genetics question!

i have been thinking a bit about dom pieds and spangles.

do you consider dom pied to be an incompletely dominant variety with three distinct forms like spangles? or is the df dom pied not always different? i do not have enough experience with them to know if they are always heavily pieded or sometimes look like sf.

if they always have three distinct forms (non pied, sf pied and df pied) then i would say the inheritance is incompletely dominant rather than dominant.
:D Not sure of my opinion. I'm not that good yet. :D

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry teasha, that was confusing. i was meaning that genetically you have three options, no pied genes (normal and therefore not a pied at all) sf and df. with most varieties there are only two options, eg you either are grey or you are not grey. being sf or df does not change the appearance of the grey.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Oh I see. All the df pieds I've seen had a lot of white on them or heavily pied. So it does seem there would be 3 forms. It will be interesting to see what others say.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The double factor dominant pieds usually look different but not always, occasionally a single factor will look like you'd expect a double factor to look.

Just because the double factor of some mutations doesn't look different from the single factor it doesn't mean that it is any more or less dominant

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks nev. i do not have much experience with dom pieds, so was not sure if the df and sf differences were fixed, like in spangles.

if there was a predictable difference between the sf and df then the variety would be an incomplete dominant one. the definition on incomplete dominance is that the heterozygote is different to the 2 homozygous forms. i think that fits spangles very well, though for ease we usually just say it is dominant.

so, going on your observations i was just writing that i guess it must be a normal dominant variety, then had a look at a site that researches parrot genetics and see it listed as incomplete dominance... so i have more research to do!!!

thanks

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
don't worry debbie, the basics are still the same as any other dominant variety, i am just thinking a bit about the more complex, but not necessary to know, aspects.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.