Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bred Prince a normal blue single factor violet male to Violet a double factor dominant pied grey wing double factor violet female. They had four chicks ...

1 dominant pied double factor violet
2 dominant pied grey wing violet grey
3 normal grey wing violet grey
4 normal grey wing violet grey

Now I understand that Prince is split for grey. Thats the only way some of the chicks are grey wing but what I don't understand is the normal chicks. Since Violet is double factor dominant pied shouldn't all of the chicks be single factor dominant pied? They don't have any clear feathers at all. Not even a spot on the head. What is going on am I totally missing something here? thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
A normal paired to a double factor dominant pied would produce 100% single factor dominant pieds.You must have the hens mutation wrong.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

yes a df dom pied with a normal will give all sf dom pieds, so you must have a sf dom pied parent.

as far as the grey goes, it is dominant so either one of the parents is grey or the chicks that look grey are mauve.

either could be possible, prince may be a violet grey and therefore have a blue look, or that mating could produce mauve chicks. but no greys are possible unless one parent is genetically grey.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't colony breed. Here are a couple photos of the parents Prince and Violet. I will have a photo of the chicks up soon. The photo of prince os an old one but he looks about the same. Just a normal blue. And violet looks to be double factor dominant pied but she has a couple grey stripes on her neck and she is double factor violet and has a grey factor. So what do you think?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i think we need a photo of violet... it sounds like she is a grey violet, so that explains the grey chicks. and prince must be split for greywing as you thought.

perhaps violet is a heavily pieded sf dom pied, or a combination of two types of pied... will wait for a photo.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I don't colony breed. Here are a couple photos of the parents Prince and Violet. I will have a photo of the chicks up soon. The photo of prince os an old one but he looks about the same. Just a normal blue. And violet looks to be double factor dominant pied but she has a couple grey stripes on her neck and she is double factor violet and has a grey factor. So what do you think?
http://budgiebreeder.synthasite.com/resources/100_2851.jpg

Violet can't be a double factor dominant pied if she has produced normal chicks. The orange beak & pink feet indicate the presence of recessive pied. She looks like she could be a dark eyed clear or combination of recessive & dominant pieds. Could you post a picture of the two pied chicks? If some of the chicks are grey Violet must be a violet grey

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hmmm, thanks for the link nev.

i would not have said df dom pied as a first choice for her, i agree with nevs suggestions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.