Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is another male i have, that i'm not sure what is?

Is it a double factor dominant pied or a recessive pied?

I know that the irises of a dominant pied budgie turn light with maturity ( like is my male) as a difference between a dominant pied and a recessive pied, since recessive pieds' eyes stay a dark plum color throughout their life.

But i also know that adult male recessive pieds have purple ceres - like my male.

So..??

Attachments

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
He is a DF dominant pied :)

2 give aways between a domiant pied and recessive are

Dominant pieds have ...

Blue ceres (male)
iris

Recessive pied have...

pink ceres(male)
no iris

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I hope Tonic find this post. It would be interesting to hear (?) her opinion. On the photos the cere looks bluish, although I can can see the pink colour in picture one. Isn't it possible that this is a combination of dom. and rec. pied? What do you think, Stacey?

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
i know , but my male (adult 4 years)...

iris
pink cere ( no blue cere)
Some adult males that are not an Ino or RP do have some pink in their ceres - everyone is different.
My Mumble (RIP) was a GF cobalt that had some pink/purple mixed with his blue cere.

He is a DF Dom.pied ;)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
It is normal for dominant pieds either DF or SF to have pink and blue on their ceres even purple.

You'll get all dominant pieds from that pair, some DF some SF. You will only get blues if the hen is plit for blue.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
He looks like a double factor dominant pied. If you don't know anything about his ancestry the only way to be sure would be to breed from him.

A combination of pied types will also produce birds that look very similar but he is definitely not just recessive pied

Some double factor dominant pieds will not develop a blue cere and some may get an iris ring in one eye but not the other

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Last year, Nev started a wonderful thread regarding Combined Pieds: http://www.talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=45435.

My **** bird, "Brett," is possibly a sky blue spangle YF1 combined pied. His parents are: **** = sky blue DFYF1 normal split for RP, and hen = cobalt opaline spangle combination pied or dominant pied split for recessive pied. Brett's only blue coloring is on his rump and his right eye has an iris ring whereas his left eye is dark.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Last year, Nev started a wonderful thread regarding Combined Pieds: http://www.talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=45435.

My **** bird, "Brett," is possibly a sky blue spangle YF1 combined pied. His parents are: **** = sky blue DFYF1 normal split for recessive pied, and hen = cobalt opaline spangle combination pied or dominant pied split for recessive pied. Brett's only blue coloring is on his rump. His right eye has an iris ring whereas his left eye is dark. And his cere is purply-pink. The first 3 pictures are Brett, his dad and his mom.

Brett's younger brother from a different clutch is "Patch." Patch is identical to Brett except Brett has clear cheek patches whereas Patch has violet cheek patches. Patch won't hold still long enough for me to examine his eyes for iris(es). The 4th picture is Patch with his dad.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.