Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,this is a chick from my last clutch.Dad is a gf skyblue spangle dom pied split opaline and mum is a yf2 opaline dom pied.I thought it was a gf double factor dom pied skyblue with maybe spangle and/or opaline because of the reduced markings on the head.It has two little patches of blue on each side of the neck bordered with black it seems.It is nearly 3 months old.While the other chicks have iris rings this one hasn't and also it's cere is always the same pinkish colour,not sure it's a male anymore.another chick is very similar but has some patches of blue on the chest and more markings around the neck and has iris rings turning white.I think it may be a combination of dom pied and rec pied.I looked very closely for an iris ring but there is no trace,also the beak looks orange.If he is rec pied he'd be the only one out of 8 chicks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Maybe you could post pics of parents also so we can make sure they are what you say they are. There is a 1 in 4 chance of breeding a double factor pied. So far it looks like it is a Goldenface(sf) Dom Pied(?df) Spangle(sf) Opaline Sky.

Reactions: nazvolt

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It looks like either an opaline, yellow face type two, double factor dominant pied, blue or a opaline, yellow face type two, dominant pied, recessive pied, blue. I have a female Violet that looks very much like your chick . In order for your chick to be recessive pied both parents would have to be split for the gene. I also think that dominant recessive pied mixes can have iris rings but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are pictures of mum and dad.I'm sure dad is split opaline because one chick,a hen,was opaline.

this is the other chick I was talking about,similar but now has iris rings.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Interesting birds! It amazes me that although you know the mutations of the parents you can still struggle to identify the babies. that's what make this hobby so interesting.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no iris rings yet

He/she is almost 5 months old now but still there is no sign of iris rings.It's brothers and sisters all have white iris rings.The only difference now is that the cere has a bluish tinge.It's been a while since it appeared and hasn't spread.I'm still confused about it's mutation

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
With a bird like this one that has very few markings it can be difficult to be sure of the mutation without breeding results

As his parents were both dominant pied he is most likely a double factor dominant pied and he could also have inherited spangle from his dad.

It also is possible that both his parents are split for recessive pied and he could be a combination of pied types which could account for no iris rings showing up

If the dad is split for opaline he could be opaline as well

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
WOW, sometimes even when you know the parents, it is quite difficult to tell the mutation of a budgie. This is what makes this hobby very exciting and wonderful. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.