Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
I have two budgies, Dove and Diva. Dove is a fancy budgie, and Diva is a blue budgie.
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I just noticed that my budgie Dove is tail bobbing infrequently. She did it a lot in the cage and when she was sitting on a windowsill, but now she's not doing it. Also, I've noticed that she has some raised feathers (I think) on her back. She also opened her beak once or twice.
I'm worried she may be egg bound or something since she layed an (unfertile) egg the other day. She's flying around fine and I saw her drink and eat, so that's good. Also I just noticed that her vent looks quite strange.
Here are pictures. One of her sitting on her cage and one of her vent.
Wood Finger Creative arts Thumb Fish

Bird Parrot Beak Pet supply Feather

·
Super Moderator
6,011 Posts
If I am seeing this correctly the area right above the vent looks distended and the way she is laying on the cage is not normal, does she always sit like that, I would be concerned and get her looked at by an avian vet.

·
Registered
I have two budgies, Dove and Diva. Dove is a fancy budgie, and Diva is a blue budgie.
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's how she usually sits on top of the cage, because there is another bird in that cage and they like to feed each other through the bars. She's acting normally, and seems fine other than the odd looking vent. I will keep an eye on her and if it still looks like that tomorrow, I will try and get her looked at. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, Dove layed another egg today. I guess that's what the swelling was about. I'm still watching her carefully, and plan to call the vet if anything looks out of the ordinary. Thank you so much for the help. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,011 Posts
If she is going to be laying eggs a lot you need to take some actions to stop that otherwise the muscles inside could become weak and make her more prone to egg binding and cloacal prolapse.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been researching about that- would it help if i bought some of those fake eggs from amazon?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.