Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My female had sexual intercourse with the male budgie a few months ago, but we still didn't see any eggs laid, its tummy is a bit swollen so I assume it's pregnant. We tried to feel her tummy and we did feel something round in there. Some people suggested we apply some petroleum jelly while rubbing to see if the egg can be pushed out but it didn't seem to work. I'm afraid exerting too much force will hurt her so I didn't dare to do anything besides waiting. Someone told me that the egg was supposed to be laid but maybe she didn't have enough force to push it out so it hardens inside and got stuck in her body. It can still poop which is kind of watery and big, like if I don't clean her nest house, a pile will be left stranded there, so I'm not sure it has something to do with laying eggs. It also has some difficulty with breathing. Is there anything I can to help her lay the egg besides going to the vet? Thank you so much!

·
Administrator
55,085 Posts
Your bird sounds as if it is egg bound which is a very serious condition. You should not be trying to "help" her lay the egg as you may break the egg inside her and cause even more problems.
Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

It is URGENT that you get your budgie to an appropriate veterinarian for assistance right away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts