Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all tonight my husband and myself and are taking our Chevy Impala 1967 to the outdoor theatre in a town nearby. It is going to be the movie ever to be shown, sadly they are shutting the Drive-In as they are called here in Australia.
Many happy memories we Aussies have of these out door cinema's. You pacjk the car full of kids and blankets pull up next to a speaker and wind your window down and attach it , there is a shop that opens at half time and a play ground for all of the kids to enjoy. many a date was had by young lovers too. We are taking our youngest son and his girlfriend for the experience. We decided to take the big girl out for a run as it is a nostalgic event for us.
My husband has two Impala's, a Chevelle, and two Camaro's as you can guess he loves American cars! His hobby.

·
Member of the Month June 2014
10,323 Posts
Hi all tonight my husband and myself and are taking our Chevy Impala 1967 to the outdoor theatre in a town nearby. It is going to be the movie ever to be shown, sadly they are shutting the Drive-In as they are called here in Australia.
Many happy memories we Aussies have of these out door cinema's. You pacjk the car full of kids and blankets pull up next to a speaker and wind your window down and attach it , there is a shop that opens at half time and a play ground for all of the kids to enjoy. many a date was had by young lovers too. We are taking our youngest son and his girlfriend for the experience. We decided to take the big girl out for a run as it is a nostalgic event for us.
My husband has two Impala's, a Chevelle, and two Camaro's as you can guess he loves American cars! His hobby.
I remember the Drive in movies we had one here in Bundaberg quite a long time ago. Not enough funding to keep it going. I remember going in our car to see the movie on a big screen they had little speakers beside the car you could even get popcorn etc like the movies. I was a teenager when the drive in closed down..... They were fun to go to..Have a nice time Cathy...

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
The one here in Canberra shut down many years ago but there was still one in Oregon near where we lived, not sure if it's still there. I vaguely remember going as a kid but I was very little and it's not a clear memory.

I'm sorry yours is closing down. :( I hope you really enjoy your last night at the drive-in and I hope the car enjoys it too :D

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hi Cathy,
We used to take our elder son to the drive-in here in Canada back in the eighties--we had two in Calgary.It was great fun; we would go with other families and the kids would all fall asleep while the movie was playing.BTW my husband has a 1975 Plymouth Fury Sport(think "Christine" the movie,lol).It still runs but he needs to restore it... he loves that car! Sorry you won't be able to experience the drive-in again.:(

·
Administrator
60,609 Posts
Oh, Cathy!

I was just thinking about drive-in movies a couple of days ago as I was listening to the "Solid Gold Oldies" songs along with Skipper and Scooter.

There were two drive-in theaters in the town where I grew up and I remember them fondly -- both as a child and as a teenager! :giggle:

I was so unhappy when they started closing them here in the states. Apparently the cost of running them vs the premium price they could get for the land the drive-ins occupied is what ended the era in the US. :(

BTW, Tell your husband I used to have a 1969 Chevelle Malibu Classic -- it was sweet.
And, my older sister had a GTO. ;)

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,908 Posts
We still have one here near where I am. It used to be a twin drive in but they sold off one and have started up the other again. They found that people still wanted drive in movies and renovated the whole thing. I much prefer the drive in. You don't have to get dressed up, you can eat and drink without disturbing anyone, laugh or talk if you want to and you don't have some tall person in front of you blocking half the screen.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I remember going to one when I was little, I think before age 5. I would always fall asleep before the main movie. We had a station wagon and we would bring blankets and pillows and I always made a little bed in the back. I don't think I have seen a drive in after 1980.

That's interesting FaeryBee. I was wondering why they had shut down. I think a new one would do well for the nostalgia. But I am sure that much land and building one would be too expensive.

·
2014 MEMBER OF THE YEAR
4,238 Posts
I bet it was an awesome experience! I've seen drive-ins only in american movies, as there were no drive- ins here in Thessaloniki. We only have "summer cinemas" where people sit outside in chairs and watch a movie. And I am sure it's not the same! :giggle:

·
Administrator
60,609 Posts
I bet it was an awesome experience! I've seen drive-ins only in american movies, as there were no drive- ins here in Thessaloniki. We only have "summer cinemas" where people sit outside in chairs and watch a movie. And I am sure it's not the same! :giggle:
They have a similar venue for movies in Washington DC in the summers, Despina.

Screen on the Green is a Washington, DC summer tradition. People take chairs or bring a blanket to the National Mall on a warm night and watch a classic film on a gigantic movie screen. Films are shown on Monday nights beginning at dusk, around 8:30-9:00 p.m. People start to claim their spots on the lawn as early as 5 p.m.

I can guarantee it is nothing like the ambiance of a good old-fashioned Drive-In Theater experience though. :giggle:

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
Grew up going to the drive in. We are fortunate to still have a double screen one not far from me, only one left in these parts....:)

Cathy, how about some car pics when you get the chance...;)

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,823 Posts
Same here, Despina! :D Drive-in theatres aren't something you'd see on a European country, it's not part of our culture.
We also have the outdoor cinema during Summer time here. The city hall provides the plastic chairs for the audience. I have only gone a couple of times, though because I get overly attacked by the mosquitoes making it not much of a fun experience for me, even though we don't pay for actually watching the movie. I would rather be free of mosquito bites.

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts

I'm so envious!!
A tornado hit the place and took out one of the screens last fall and I was worried about what they would do. They put up another screen. They do quite well I think....hard to believe most areas dont have at least one..:)

·
Administrator
60,609 Posts
A tornado hit the place and took out one of the screens last fall and I was worried about what they would do. They put up another screen. They do quite well I think....hard to believe most areas dont have at least one..:)
I think they were probably most popular in the Midwest when they were first introduced.
Both the ones in the town where I grew up had double screens too.
I was really hoping to find one near my sister's place since she's in Ohio but no luck so far.
:(

·
Administrator
60,609 Posts
Whooo Hooo!!
Thanks for the link, Michele! I don't know why it never occurred to me to do an on-line search for them. :hammer:
I found one on the list not to far from my sister's house so the next time I go out there to visit -- I'm going to insist we go for old-times sake! :giggle:

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whooo Hooo!!
Thanks for the link, Michele! I don't know why it never occurred to me to do an on-line search for them. :hammer:
I found one on the list not to far from my sister's house so the next time I go out there to visit -- I'm going to insist we go for old-times sake! :giggle:
It was great fun , we took some potatoe chips, blankets and pillows and has the speaker in the car on the window. The first movie was The Muppets Heard lots of kids laughing and enjoying themselves then at half time off to the play ground they went.:)

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Grew up going to the drive in. We are fortunate to still have a double screen one not far from me, only one left in these parts....:)

Cathy, how about some car pics when you get the chance...;)
Randy I will post some pictures of Hubby's car for you soon he will love to hear this ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.