Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member of the Month January 2013
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curios to what mutations would come from pairing King Richard (english) and Chiffon (american). I do not know any background on these 2.
Chiffon is a yf2 albino and I am not sure about King Richard, I am guessing he is a skyblue spangle.

King Richard

Chiffon

Thanks Rick

·
Registered
428 Posts
It's impossible to say for sure, because the albino could be masking all kinds of mutations. :) Assuming she's normal for everything except for sf yf2 and ino, then you'd expect:

all males sky blue and split for ino, all females sky blue
50% yf2 and 50% white
50% spangle and 50% normal

·
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After the mutations what about size and looking english or american?

Rick

·
Registered
75 Posts
In my experience, most English/American crosses tend to look like slightly large Americans. As for the feathering, some seem to have a bit more of the English "fluff" while others tend towards the American feathering. Seeing what you get is part of the fun I suppose!

·
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw an old post where Nev that said you could get english budgies by selectively breeding american budgies but it woud take about 50 years. As i am 52 now,53in nov, I once again am starting to late. (Unless there is some major medical breakthrough on the near horizon).
So I am going to study the american/english mix. I am going to try for larger than american but not as much feather as the major show winners. I hope to find out how to look for health to fit in the equation.
I have King Richard (english male) and numerous american females. This is the start! One question I have is about the nest box. Will King Richard fit in the normal 1 1/2" hole that is standard for budgie nest boxes?

Thanks Rick

·
Registered
428 Posts
We bred a male English budgie with a female American budgie with a standard wooden nestbox and had no problems. We like hybrids. Our clutch looked more like Americans but have a calmer temperament. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.