Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Mickey's mutation but...is he an English Budgie or what? :p Sorry for the stupid question :eek:

Here's a photo

·
Registered
63 Posts
he might be a crose or pure. if he has a band you can track the breeder and ask them

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
J he is neither English or American he is Australian , someone i know not who decided that your birds would be called American, i can breed budgies like yours but does that make them American ? Every pair of budgies paired up to breed carry a gene that is trying to breed a small wild type Australian budgie , this is why we have budgies of all shapes and sizes :)

This question always makes me wonder , if i moved my birds to Wales would my budgies then be Welsh ? :) [

He is a nice big bird

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
J he is neither English or American he is Australian , someone i know not who decided that your birds would be called American, i can breed budgies like yours but does that make them American ? Every pair of budgies paired up to breed carry a gene that is trying to breed a small wild type Australian budgie , this is why we have budgies of all shapes and sizes :)

This question always makes me wonder , if i moved my birds to Wales would my budgies then be Welsh ? :) [

He is a nice big bird /COLOR]

Thanks Barrie :) Just remembered, I live in Australia! :p
I wouldn't classify him as big really, when we got him he was the tiniest of them all! And even know...he still seems smaller ;)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Budgies are all Australian

Just because a budgie is a bit bigger than the average it does not necessarily mean that some of his ancestors were bred in England. Large size budgies can be bred anywhere it is just a matter of always breeding from the largest birds and culling the small ones. This happened a lot in England during the two world wars. Because of the shortage of seed any birds that were not up to standard were quickly culled.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Budgies are all Australian

Just because a budgie is a bit bigger than the average it does not necessarily mean that some of his ancestors were bred in England. Large size budgies can be bred anywhere it is just a matter of always breeding from the largest birds and culling the small ones. This happened a lot in England during the two world wars. Because of the shortage of seed any birds that were not up to standard were quickly culled.
Thanks for the help :) I know Budgie's originate from Australia :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.