Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Sorry I've been a little elusive lately, I have a new family member that has taken up quite a bit of my internet time ; )

This is Rosenbaum my delta tail betta splendin!

I got him about a week and a half ago, I admit he was a bit of an impulse buy. He was just so gorgeous, and I haven't kept bettas for a few years so I thought it was about time to take it up again.

He was very sick the first week, with a bad case of swim bladder disease, but luckily I was able to nurse him back to health! Now I have a very happy and active betta : D

·
Registered
910 Posts
Congrats on your new family member. Rosenbaum is extremely handsome. I hope Mr Smol doesn't get jealous of having to share his Mum. I hope you'll share regular pics of Rosenbaum as well as your updates of Smols antics. (Speaking of which, I'm having Smol withdrawals. I've missed seeing his photos).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I definitely will!

Hahah so far Smol is doing okay sharing a third of me. He prefers fighting over me with my dog Finnigan anyways x)

And yes! More pictures of Smol are coming! He hasn't wanted to ham it up for the camera in a bit and being the diva he is I only photograph him with his permission ; )

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
Rosenbaum is very handsome.

While betta can live in small containers, it is really best to give them a larger tank.

Betta like to exercise and larger tanks allows them to do so.
It's not only better for their health to get activity, but a larger fish tank means a better quality of water too as smaller fish tanks can quickly become soiled and filled with other contaminants.
Just iike with a budgie cage, I recommend you get a wider tank rather than a taller one.
A betta fish tank should be a minimum of one gallon, but ideally two gallons or more.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Faerybee! This picture doesn't show the whole tank, he's in a 2.5 gal which I know is the minimum but it's all I could afford right now. He also has a filter and a heater.

I plan on upgrading him in the future, mostly because keeping the nitrite, nitrate and ammonia levels proper are more difficult in a smaller tank.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a pic of his tank set up!

Rosenbaum loves to hunt the pieces of algae from the moss ball that float around in the water. He also likes to hide inside the dinosaur like this

He's doing so well I'm so proud of him : )

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,764 Posts
Rosenbaum is a beautiful Betta! Isn’t he a fantail mutation? Just lovely :D!

He is definitely a spoiled betta :). Actually, a properly kept one! As you know, just because they are a species that can survive in a little cup, doesn’t mean they don’t deserve a healthy aquarium environment. I used to love fish keeping. Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know his mutation is a little hard to tell, I'm part of a Betta forum and they said he's either a delta tail or half moon. He isn't very aggressive, I haven't been able to get him to fully flare his operculum. But he fares his caudal a lot, and it might be half moon? The betta people over at the forum say if it's a perfect half circle shape it makes him a halfmoon. Otherwise he's a delta. Again since I can't seem to get him to fully flare I'm not sure if his finnage is in full display.

He is so pretty though and I'm so happy I'm finally able to give my betta a proper happy life! When I was young I had bettas, but since my parents would buy them and since it was thought that they preferred small spaces, they only had half gallon to one gallon tanks without filters or heaters. But now I can fully spoil this little fish!

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,764 Posts
Makes me want fish again :). I know that to do it properly it takes a lot of work and time. Someday again.

·
Super Moderator
18,906 Posts
Rosenbaum is absolutely beautiful!!! He's gorgeous and obviously spoiled rotten :D I can't wait to hear more about him, I'm so glad you were able to nurse him back to health!

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
Rosenbaum is very lucky to have you loving and caring for him! :hug: He is a beautiful fellow and I hope he'll be with you for a very long time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.