Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Super worried about my four year old budgie Beauregard.
We are currently at my parents house, staying there for a week over Christmas.

This morning when I uncovered his cage, I noticed Beau was very quiet and was climbing on the side to scratch his head. After 5 or so minutes he was still doing this. On closer inspection only his right eye was opened. He didn't want to climb down, and when I got him to he didn't want to play with his toy or make a sound. He is normally a very loud budgie and he loves that toy to death he frets if its taken away.
He is all fluffed up and constantly grooming and scratching himself.
He is eating and drinking fine.

I am thinking it is mites maybe as I brought his holiday cage down early to get it ready. It was at my parents for a week before hand. I always spray with a lice spray but I am not sure if I did this time.......

Thanks any advice would be great this is the first time he has ever had any illness or mites.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,707 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your Beauregard isn't feeling well. :(
Is he able to perch well and how is his overall balance?
The fact that he was scratching his head and had his eye closed makes me believe maybe something got into his eye while preening/scratching his head.
Is he able to open the eye now and do you see redness or signs of inflammation?

You can rinse the eye with sterile saline solution, that can help if Beauregard is feeling discomfort on the area.
If he is moulting, that could also explain the increase in preening.

If he appears to really be restless and in distress over the itchiness, then booking him an appointment at a specialized avian vet so that he is properly checked would be the best thing to do.

I hope your Beauregard feels better soon, good luck! :)

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts
I'm glad you booked him into the vet. Red flag's are going up for me. You have brought him into your parent's house, has this all started since arriving there ? Could there be something in their house or the vehicle you transported him in that has caused an allergic type reaction ? Please keep us updated on your little guy.

·
Member of the Month June 2015
2,460 Posts
I'm so glad you were able to make a vet appointment for him. Noah once had similar symptoms and the vet ended up bringing in an ophthalmologist to assess him because eye drops nor antibiotics were working. It turned out to be a viral infection called uveitis which could have caused him to lose his eye. With the right treatment he was fine again in a few days.

I hope my post hasn't scared you but I was worried when I first read your post that a vet visit may not have been accessible. Best of luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Everyone,

Ok so took Beau to the vet.
They could not narrow it down to one thing, their suspicion is that it is mites, so he is on a four week treatment for that. The vet checked him all over and apart from his left eye being swollen around the outside due to itching he was fine.
They were worried about the fact he was happy to try to sleep in the vet room, so if he is not bouncing back in a few days we are to bring him in for a blood test, to see if it is something more serious.
He is still eating and drinking well, poops are normal so that is good. He is just sleepy and quiet.

Thank you all for your support and kind words, I will keep you informed if anything improves etc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.