Administrator
55,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Shelby has been going through an extreme molt. :(

Shelby - April 20, 2013

Sunny - Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sunny - Saturday April 20, 2013

Sparky - April 20, 2013

Sparky has been molting too, but so far he isn't looking as rough as Shelby and Sunny.

I'm the most handsome of them all! :p

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Good grief, poor Shelby, and Sunny is nearly as bad, poor babies.... how did they cope? How did you cope?

·
Member of the Month August 2013
5,121 Posts
Oh my goodness, poor Shelby and Sunny :(

Thank you for sharing, I would have freaked if any my of birds looked like that. It is good to see what a bad moult looks like, and I hope none of mine ever experience it. Though I get the feeling GreyBird may be starting.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Wow, it looks so ichy. I have not any of mine look like Shelby or Sunny. But I know after molting, they will look awesome and Sparky look like a ball of wool!! So soft!!

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Those are the most spectacular porcupine face I've seen yet!
Poor little birds!

Reactions: FaeryBee

·
Administrator
55,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good grief, poor Shelby, and Sunny is nearly as bad, poor babies.... how did they cope? How did you cope?
Liz,

I really didn't cope well at all when Shelby had so many bald patches and they were such a fire-engine red last weekend. :eek: I thought I was going to lose him for sure. :(

Thankfully, Shelby's a trooper and pulled through.

I gave Shelby and Sunny lots of Quinoa and Hard Boiled Egg to boost their protein intake which I think helped a little.
They are also getting Apple Cider Vinegar in their drinking water to boost their little immune systems.

G

·
Holy crap thats a heavy molt! and i thought Freki was molting bad... the poor little buggers must have been so itchy! it actually looks painful :(

·
Administrator
55,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Holy crap thats a heavy molt! and i thought Freki was molting bad... the poor little buggers must have been so itchy! it actually looks painful :(
Yes, Shelby's been pretty miserable. They are now dealing with all the pinfeathers and as you can see from today's pictures with all the pin-feathers they have a long way to go before they are going to be back to normal.

What a good mum you are giving them those extras at moulting time. It's a great idea to feed seasonally to support their health through such a big moult.
I agree about the birds needing extras during molting times!
I've also ordered some highly recommended supplements and am looking forward to their arrival. All my birds will be getting those. ;)

·
Registered
16,696 Posts
Poor Shelby! Isn't it just awful to see our little ones go through this. Your darling little sweety is definitely in good company with Aries; they should get started on their miserable moulters club. What a relief to see all those pin feathers coming in.

Great job in looking after Shelby! He's a lucky budgie to have such an awesome mommy! :hug:

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
You must have had a sea of yellow fluff. They feel better when they have a special goodie to get them through it. ;)

shelby you should get your momma to buy you a hat. you can cover up that bare patch and all the girlies will love it. your friend charlie.

·
Administrator
55,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Poor Shelby! Isn't it just awful to see our little ones go through this. Your darling little sweety is definitely in good company with Aries; they should get started on their miserable moulters club. What a relief to see all those pin feathers coming in.

Great job in looking after Shelby! He's a lucky budgie to have such an awesome mommy! :hug:
Shelby and Sunny asked if Aries would be the President of their Miserable Molters Club since he's been through more than one and this is their first time experiencing one this severe!

Thanks for all your support through this ordeal, Kim!

You must have had a sea of yellow fluff. They feel better when they have a special goodie to get them through it. ;)

shelby you should get your momma to buy you a hat. you can cover up that bare patch and all the girlies will love it. your friend charlie.
Arlene, I've been picking up the feathers from the carpet and have a how container full of them now! :eek:

Charlie, That's a very good idea! The only problem with wearing my hat is I have to take it off when I want to scratch my head. :giggle: Shelby

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Oh my!! :eek: poor boys, that looks SOO painful! :( I wonder what causes budgies to have those molts where they like lose ALL their head feathers at once? I hope I never have to go through that with mine :eek: I'm glad they are looking better and back to normal! and Sparky is looking as handsome as ever! :)

·
Member of the Month December 2013
1,711 Posts
:eek: Oh my goodness! When you told me Shelby was going through a bad molt, I had no idea it could be THAT bad! Poor Sunny looks pretty miserable too! :( Aww. Your poor boys. :hug:

I thought Comet was looking pretty rough, but he doesn't have those awful red patches!

I just know you are taking great care of them during this difficult time. They will get through it. I can only image how hard it must be to see them go through this. :hug: Hugs to you too.

·
Budgie Nut
3,087 Posts
Wow :wow: i've never seen anything that severe
before! Poor little guys! I'm so glad they got through
it ok and are now looking handsome as ever! :D

·
Member of the Month January 2013
4,870 Posts
I don't know what else to say that has not already been said. Wow. I'm thinking the close-up pin feather one would make a great postage stamp...or Christmas card :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.