Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I am new to the bird thing. My daughter got herself a bird along with her roommate. So when she brought her bird Su-ka home she decided that she was used to having another bird to keep her company so she bought another bird Bonjovi. We have had both birds in her room at the house since the first of Nov. Well last week I found Su-ka dead at the bottom of the cage. From what we can tell she had a broken neck. We do not know how or why this happened. Anyway since Bonjovi was morning and missing Su-ka we bought 2 more birds. Sol (female) and Irie (male) So last night I noticed that Bonjovi seems to be breathing fast. We are concerned that there may be something wrong with him. Especially since the sudden death of Su-ka. The house does not have central air and heat, it is gas heated but it is in another room, and we keep the door closed. We do have a space heater in that room, because it does get pretty chilly in there. We do have a cat but the cat is only allowed in when someone is in there, and is not allowed to even come close. (we keep the door closed). I have been seeing a lot of lady bugs in the house the last few weeks. Anyway can someone tell me if we need to be worried about Bonjovi? Thanks

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts
Welcome to talk budgies. Without knowing for sure what caused your bird's death, you have every reason to be fearful that his rapid breathing is a sign of illness. Can you hear any noise from the breathing, like clicking ? What do the bird's dropping's look like ? How are the appetite's ? How cold is the room the bird's are in and what type of space heater do you utilize ? When bringing new bird's in you should quarantine for 4-6 week's to avoid the spread of possible illness/disease to other bird's. Have you considered a wellness check for your bird's at an avian vet to determine that they are not sick and in need of medicine ? Can you post pic's of your bird's ? There is a lot of good information here that will help you work through this and get thing's going in the right direction. Check out the sticky's at the top of the different section's...:)

http://talkbudgies.com/your-budgies-health/227825-50-common-budgie-dangers-watch-out.html

http://talkbudgies.com/your-budgies...-avian-vet-finder-administering-medicine.html

http://talkbudgies.com/your-budgies-health/102714-quarantine-really-important.html

·
Registered
37,335 Posts
Hello and welcome to Tb, although your flock is causing you concern. Sorry to hear of the death of your Su-ka. Did you quarantine the new budgies? This is extremely important, especially since you don't know what happened to your other budgie. Are they all in the same cage? Bonjovi could be stressed and experiencing anxiety, the new birds will be bonded he is an outsider in his own territory now, so he is grieving the loss of his friend and stressed. or he could be sick, rapid breathing is often a sign of Respiratory problems, he needs to go to an avian vet.
Do you cover the cage to keep out drafts, gas heaters can leak they are fatal for budgies. Is Bonjovi holding his wings slightly away from his body at all? Is he fluffed up an sleeping ,ore than usual? The best option would be an avian vet visit if he has a respiratory problem he will need some medications to help him.

·
Super Moderator
19,682 Posts
Hello and welcome to Talk Budgies :welcome:

I'm so sorry for the death of Su-ka :(

I agree with the advice given above, you have every right to be worried, especially after Su-Ka's death. I can't really add anything--it could be an illness, or the space heater, or the stress of new birds in the house, or grief, all contributing to either symptoms, stress, or both. First, I think you should analyse when the rapid breathing is happening. If it's all the time, it probably is an illness, but if it settles down when the other birds aren't right by him or when the space heater is off and the door is open, it is likely one of those factors. For safety reasons, I actually would go ahead and remove the space heater for now to ensure it's not the cause. You can make hot water bottles and wrap them in towels to place in the budgie's cages if it gets too cold.

If you have any other questions, please be sure to ask! We'd love to help :)

Hope to see you around, keep us posted on how Bonjovi is doing :wave:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.