Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

my budgie sky he is 2years old, I love him to bits i took him to the vets where he was diagnosed with an enlarged liver or enlarged stomach, from the green droppings Were thinking liver. The vet has said there are tests we can do but at the end of the day it’s not worth running them as the prognosis is he is on borrowed Time, the vet wants to pop him on end of life meds.

I tried to start both my birds on Harrison’s but they just won’t eat it and tried him with fruit and vedge they don’t touch that either, I managed to get them on lettuce and carrot tops, that’s as far as I was able to get it.

I have asked the vets if milk thistle would be any good, the vet said it’s not going to touch him, I’ve got milk thistle in his water and I also got him l-carnitine (just noticed it’s lemon flavour)

the questions I have are:

Has anyone had a simular experience? Looking for what to expect
How long budgies normally last after diagnosis
And budgies survived this before

Will the lemon extract harm him?
Anything elce I can do for him?
Should I put him down so he isn’t suffering?

thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
Was it an avian vet that you saw, it can be risky doing blood tests on a bird with a compromised liver depending on the severity of the problem, because of the stress factor. What meds is the vet suggesting as end of life meds, does your bird act ill or is it that you just noticed the green droppings, there are other things that can cause the droppings to appear green. You may find it helpful to read this article https://nilesanimalhospital.com/files/2012/05/Hepatic-Lipidosis-Fatty-Liver.pdf
I have had several birds with fatty liver, and currently have one that gets milk thistle with lactulose daily, the treatment depends on how badly the liver is compromised.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear your budgie is ill.

Cody has given you excellent advise and asked some good questions.
Please let us know the answers to what she asked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was it an avian vet that you saw, it can be risky doing blood tests on a bird with a compromised liver depending on the severity of the problem, because of the stress factor. What meds is the vet suggesting as end of life meds, does your bird act ill or is it that you just noticed the green droppings, there are other things that can cause the droppings to appear green. You may find it helpful to read this article https://nilesanimalhospital.com/files/2012/05/Hepatic-Lipidosis-Fatty-Liver.pdf
I have had several birds with fatty liver, and currently have one that gets milk thistle with lactulose daily, the treatment depends on how badly the liver is compromised.
Thankyou for your reply,

I took him to an avian vet, sky had an X-ray and that’s how we diagnosed him, he originally went as green droppings, messy vent, he was missing his perches and holding his wings out… turned out he had a chest infection, after antibiotics I had an X-ray done as he didn’t get much better. I am picking his meds up Monday morning as I’m self isolating. I’m just about to read your article.

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
Has the chest infection cleared up? I have also had several birds with tumors and infections involving the liver which is different than fatty liver but none the less compromises the liver function and you can see the same greenish color in the droppings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has the chest infection cleared up? I have also had several birds with tumors and infections involving the liver which is different than fatty liver but none the less compromises the liver function and you can see the same greenish color in the droppings.
he did say they can only see an enlarged area in the symtonach or liver, he did mention it might be cancer, without more tests we won’t know. I don’t want to put him through stressful risky procedures to find out what’s wrong when the vet said he most likely wouldn’t be able to treat the prognosis.

His chest infection has cleared up

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Please make sure that he is not in pain or suffering. If his quality of life becomes compromised, it's best to have him helped to move on to the Rainbow Bridge.

I wish you and your little Sky all the best. Sending prayers and love.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts