Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every morning I put out wild bird seed outside Lemon and Sweetie's window so they can talk to and play around the 'outside birdies'. This consists of a large flock of house sparrows and a bonded pair of pigeons my neighbour and I have named Bonnie and Clyde. Lemon is completely enamoured with the pigeons, haha!
There's also a big fat girl squirrel that comes sometimes, which causes Sweetie to puff up and act all brave for some reason! Once in a while raccoons run across the fence opposite the window but I don't think the budgies care much.

The pigeons, Bonnie and Clyde
IMG_20180522_095634519 by Moira Aoibheane Parker, on Flickr

·
Registered
910 Posts
I also feed the wild birds. Many have now become quite tame. I love watching them and my two budgies also enjoy watching them and talking to them through the door. Here are some of my local feathered friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,807 Posts
Love the Bonnie and Clyde duo, my husband raised pigeons many years ago.
Blingy, you have a great assortment of native visitors.
I live very close to a forest preserve, I get deer very early in the am that come and eat just about anything I plant, rabbits, skunks, chipmunks, and squirrels come and as for birds you would think living so close to a forest preserve that I might get a good variety but its is mostly sparrows, red winged blackbirds, starlings, grackles and doves. Once in a while I will see a hawk, but only in the air, they don't come into the yard, which is fine by me because if they did it would probably be because they were trying to catch something and I don't want to see that.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I wouldn't want to see hawks going after their dinner either (or any other animal hunting for that matter). I know it's how they live, but it breaks my heart to see it (& thankfully I don't see it). We have wild deer further in the bush, as well as wild Emu but I've only seen Emu. Of course we have plenty of kangaroos, wombats, echidnas and other native wildlife. I'd so love it if we had squirrels and chipmunks. I adore hedgehogs and would love it if we could get those here too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,764 Posts
Nothing too exotic over here in the suburbs of Southern CA :D. I guess it’s all relative though. If you don’t have it, then it might be exotic to you lol. But nothing like Australia! I do like to see the various migratory hummingbirds though :).

In the spring and summer, there is a bird species that sings loudly... AT NIGHT. Any and all hours in the middle of the night, which was surprising. Not sure what it is. Google wasn’t clear, but might be mockingbirds.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Mockingbirds are definitely known for singing at all hours, Julie! I also don't get anything too exciting, around here it's mostly mockingbirds, bluebirds, robins, house sparrows, and blue jays. There's a Cooper's Hawk that lives near my apartment complex and I see him/her occasionally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.