Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am a surprised new budgie owner, having found one in the bush outside my apartment building.

I put my finger in front of his/her feet and they climbed on.
They stayed on my finger as I climbed up four flights of stairs to my apartment, and stayed when I put them in the bathroom.

I have birdseed from my birdfeeder, so I put that out and water. I ordered a small cage from Petco that will arrive today and I'll try to get a more spacious one with more time to research. I ordered some parakeet food from Amazon that will arrive tomorrow.

This budgie isn't flying... in fact I had to build a little staircase up to the food.

When I come in to use the bathroom, they chirp and when I put my hand out, they nibble on my finger. I can pet their chest and they close their eyes. Very endearing.

I'll be taking him/her to an avian vet when I can find one.

1) do you think it has a broken wing? Why isn't it flying?

2) what kind of things would I not know as a first time surprise budgie owner?

·
Administrator
56,591 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Thank you for rescuing this precious little bird! 💚

From what I can see in the picture, the budgie looks very young and may not be flying yet because it has yet to develop its wing muscles sufficiently.
Why do you think it might have a broken wing? Is it holding one of the wings oddly?
Are you going to try to find the budgie's owner?
What size cage did you order from Petco at this time?

The budgie may not be tame. It may be submissive right now because it is unable to fly. Keep that in mind as you go forward.

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES

Dangers to Pet Birds

List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
Essentials to a Great Cage

Resource Directory
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

The link below will help you locate an Avian Veterinarian
Avian Association of Veterinarians

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi FaeryBee, thank you for talking with me!

I am wondering if it has a broken wing because it is not flying. But hopefully it's just too young, like you said. It is a very tame bird. It seems to be holding its wings symmetrically.

If I see a "lost bird" sign I will contact the person, but my first assumption was that the bird was dumped. If it wasn't dumped, how could a flightless bird get out of an apartment? By the way, I live in NYC. I guess I have a suspicious mindset with found animals here, having worked with some animal rescues.

The (temporary) cage I got was You & Me Cockatiel Ranch House Bird Cage, 20" L x 16" W x 29" H.

If I get to keep this bird, I have room for a much larger cage.

I ordered some parakeet toys from Amazon that will come tomorrow.

I will read the posts and articles when I am off work. Right now I am working remotely in the living room while the budgie is in the bathtub.

Thank you!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi FaeryBee, thank you for talking with me!

I am wondering if it has a broken wing because it is not flying. But hopefully it's just too young, like you said. It is a very tame bird. It seems to be holding its wings symmetrically.

If I see a "lost bird" sign I will contact the person, but my first assumption was that the bird was dumped. If it wasn't dumped, how could a flightless bird get out of an apartment? By the way, I live in NYC. I guess I have a suspicious mindset with found animals here, having worked with some animal rescues.

The (temporary) cage I got was You & Me Cockatiel Ranch House Bird Cage, 20" L x 16" W x 29" H.

If I get to keep this bird, I have room for a much larger cage.

I ordered some parakeet toys from Amazon that will come tomorrow.

I will read the posts and articles when I am off work. Right now I am working remotely in the living room while the budgie is in the bathtub.

Thank you!
Sorry, regarding the "very tame bird" comment - I missed your comment that it may be being submissive. I will keep that in mind. So far it nibbles on my fingers and will chirp continuously if I am nearby, and lets me pet its chest.

Earlier when I was trying to put some food near it, it ran onto my hand and ignored the food.

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
It is a very young bird as FaeryBee said, since you do not know how long it has been outside it could very well be dehydrated and malnourished. It is critical that the bird eats, if I were you I would go out to a pet store now and buy some spray millet and offer it to the bird, the seeds in the feeder may be too tough for such a young bird. If you cannot get the bird to eat you will need to consult an avian vet for assistance, here is a link, you can search for one in your area, if there are not any near you look for a vet that treats exotics as they also treat birds. https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803 I don't mean to alarm you but a bird that young cannot go without a daily source of nourishment.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is eating the sunflower seeds and drinking water. After the birdcage arrives and I can put it in there, I will go to the pet store like you said and get some spray millet. Thank you for the suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
It is good that it is eating something but sunflower seeds are very high in fat so make sure that you transition the bird off of them once you get proper budgie food. You can also break off a piece of the spray millet and soak it in water overnight to soften it a bit if the little one has trouble with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The bird is very precious! From what I can tell, it looks like a male. I might be wrong about his gender though. I am still working on identifying genders. And he looks young, as others said. It’s great that you rescued this poor thing. You should take it to an avian vet, however, to make sure it doesn’t have any illnesses.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone.

The cage arrived and I set him/her up inside.

It mostly likes to eat and drink and fall asleep with its head tucked in its back.

At one point, I stuck my fingers in the cage and it eagerly clambered and crawled awkardly all the way across the cage to nibble on my fingers and chatter.

Wouldn't that mean this little bird has got to be hand-raised? Or is it just stupefied and bored?

Reading about budgies and how social they are, I feel like I should get it a friend from the pet store.

But if it is really so young, what would that dynamic be like? Would it help or hurt?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it is tucking its head in its back then that could be a sign of illness. I suggest taking it to an avian vet as soon as possible.

I also suggest waiting a bit for the budgie to grow older until you get it a friend. Make sure you get it a friend of the same gender to prevent breeding.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it is tucking its head in its back then that could be a sign of illness. I suggest taking it to an avian vet as soon as possible.

I also suggest waiting a bit for the budgie to grow older until you get it a friend. Make sure you get it a friend of the same gender to prevent breeding.
thank you. I have a carrying cage arriving soon and then I can make a vet appt.

·
Administrator
56,591 Posts
I would not go out and get another budgie at this point in time. The budgie you have is very young. Take the time to get to know the little one and let it settle in for awhile.

Extremely young Budgies aren’t going to be active right away. Additionally, it needs time to settle in to its new environment. It is normal for a budgie to initially be quiet.

There are many things which must be considered before bringing another budgie into the mix. I’ll send you a list when I’m back on my computer. Right now I’m trying to type this on my phone.
If you post a close up full frontal picture of the budgie’s cere taken in natural light, no flash and no direct sunlight, we can determine its gender.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would not go out and get another budgie at this point in time. The budgie you have is very young. Take the time to get to know the little one and let it settle in for awhile. Extremely young Budgies aren’t going to be active right away. Additionally, it needs time to settle I. To its new environment.
There are many things which must be considered before bringing another budgie into the mix. I’ll send you a list when I’m back on my computer. Right now I’m trying to type this on my phone. If you post a full frontal picture of the budgie’s cere taken in natural light, no flash and no direct sunlight, we can determine its gender.
Thank you. I won't get a friend until it's older.

I'll try to get a picture of its cere. It's napping right now. It might have to wait until tomorrow as the natural light is fading here.

·
Administrator
56,591 Posts
The information given to you by 6055474 was not accurate.
Budgies often "tuck their heads" when they are sleeping. It is not a sign of illness and is quite normal behavior for budgies.
I strongly recommend you take into consideration whose posts you are reading before taking their advice to heart.

The Talk Budgies staff goes to great lengths to offer sound advice based on fact and research.

Staff members are: FaeryBee, Cody, StarlingWings and PoukieBear
Please use staff members information rather than that of members who may or may not have the knowledge and experience to be giving advice.

There are many things to take into consideration before getting another bird.

Do you really want another pet

1. If you decide to get another budgie in the future, please be sure to observe quarantine for the new budgie.
Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.
Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

Quarantine your new bird!
Yes - Quarantine IS necessary

It is also a good idea to always take a new budgie in to see an Avian Vet for a "well-birdie" check-up. This allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet and the vet can establish a baseline for your bird in case of any future illnesses or injuries.
If there are no Avian Vets in your area, then finding an Exotic Pet Veterinarian who has experience in dealing with small birds is the next best option.

2. Introducing the new bird to the current bird

Introducing Two Budgies

3. Flock Dynamics
Differences and Dynamics in Flocks
Your Harmonious Flock

4. Where do you plan to get the new bird?
If the time comes when you decide to get your budgie a friend, I highly recommend considering getting a bird of the same gender from either a bird rescue organization or a shelter.
These budgies need a good, safe and loving forever home.

If you are unable to adopt a rescue bird, please be sure to read the following:

Why you should buy from a Reputable/Ethical Breeder rather than a Big Box Pet Store

5. Vet Expense and Housing
Do you have the time, finances, etc to devote to another bird?
Are you ready, willing and able to house the new budgie separately on a permanent basis if it does not get along with your current bird after quarantine?

Be Prepared for Veterinary Expense

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The information given to you by 6055474 was not accurate.
Budgies often "tuck their heads" when they are sleeping. It is not a sign of illness and is quite normal behavior for budgies.
I strongly recommend you take into consideration whose posts you are reading before taking their advice to heart.

The Talk Budgies staff goes to great lengths to offer sound advice based on fact and research.

Staff members are: FaeryBee, Cody, StarlingWings and PoukieBear
Please use staff members information rather than that of members who may or may not have the knowledge and experience to be giving advice.

There are many things to take into consideration before getting another bird.

Do you really want another pet

1. If you decide to get another budgie in the future, please be sure to observe quarantine for the new budgie.
Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.
Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

Quarantine your new bird!
Yes - Quarantine IS necessary

It is also a good idea to always take a new budgie in to see an Avian Vet for a "well-birdie" check-up. This allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet and the vet can establish a baseline for your bird in case of any future illnesses or injuries.
If there are no Avian Vets in your area, then finding an Exotic Pet Veterinarian who has experience in dealing with small birds is the next best option.

2. Introducing the new bird to the current bird

Introducing Two Budgies

3. Flock Dynamics
Differences and Dynamics in Flocks
Your Harmonious Flock

4. Where do you plan to get the new bird?
If the time comes when you decide to get your budgie a friend, I highly recommend considering getting a bird of the same gender from either a bird rescue organization or a shelter.
These budgies need a good, safe and loving forever home.

If you are unable to adopt a rescue bird, please be sure to read the following:

Why you should buy from a Reputable/Ethical Breeder rather than a Big Box Pet Store

5. Vet Expense and Housing
Do you have the time, finances, etc to devote to another bird?
Are you ready, willing and able to house the new budgie separately on a permanent basis if it does not get along with your current bird after quarantine?

Be Prepared for Veterinary Expense
FaeryBee I can't thank you enough for your time. I have been working my way through the articles and stickies. Everything is super helpful.

I'm glad the bird is just snoozing when its head is tucked in like that. He/she has been eating and sleeping throughout the day, not playing. I hope it's because it is a baby rather than because it is ill. In any event I'll be going to the avian vet when I get the cage carrier and can confirm the price.

I'll check out the information about getting a second bird. I'm worried this one will get lonely. I have cats and it will be hard to take it out of its cage often. It would not be able to fly freely here often. I would have to set up special time in a closed room. Anyway it cannot fly at all yet, only stumble around. In the meantime the budgie and the cats like touching noses through the cage.

I looked for "lost bird" flyers outside and checked on NextDoor. The fact that this bird cannot get around at all makes me suspicious that it could ever escape from somewhere. The reason I noticed the bird in the first place was because a woman was standing in front of my apartment building holding it on her finger. Then she put it in the bush outside my building door. I asked her if she found the bird there and she just walked away. It wouldn't have occurred to me to try to pick up a parakeet as we have wild monk parrots here. I just would have walked on by. But it got on my finger right away, and didn't want to come off when we finally got inside my bathroom. I tend to think the worst.... maybe she accidentally bred some budgies, and this was what she did with the babies. Put them in trees in NYC.

Anyway, I did not know there were bird rescues. I will try those first re: getting a second bird. I'm sure they will be unimpressed by the cats.

As for taking responsibility for this or another bird, I've been a devoted pet owner of cats, including rescuing, TNR, vet bills, keeping a lookout for toxic foods, etc., since I was a little kid. I'm a vegan and animal rights activist. I take pets very seriously. So I didn't hesitate to take this bird inside as its circumstances immediately felt very wrong, and I also know rehoming a rescued animal is next to impossible, so this bird became my responsibility, cats and vet bills and all. I've loved my birdfeeder but always thought an inside bird was a no go because of the cats. But unless there is a better home for this budgie, he's an honorary cat now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FaeryBee I can't thank you enough for your time. I have been working my way through the articles and stickies. Everything is super helpful.

I'm glad the bird is just snoozing when its head is tucked in like that. He/she has been eating and sleeping throughout the day, not playing. I hope it's because it is a baby rather than because it is ill. In any event I'll be going to the avian vet when I get the cage carrier and can confirm the price.

I'll check out the information about getting a second bird. I'm worried this one will get lonely. I have cats and it will be hard to take it out of its cage often. It would not be able to fly freely here often. I would have to set up special time in a closed room. Anyway it cannot fly at all yet, only stumble around. In the meantime the budgie and the cats like touching noses through the cage.

I looked for "lost bird" flyers outside and checked on NextDoor. The fact that this bird cannot get around at all makes me suspicious that it could ever escape from somewhere. The reason I noticed the bird in the first place was because a woman was standing in front of my apartment building holding it on her finger. Then she put it in the bush outside my building door. I asked her if she found the bird there and she just walked away. It wouldn't have occurred to me to try to pick up a parakeet as we have wild monk parrots here. I just would have walked on by. But it got on my finger right away, and didn't want to come off when we finally got inside my bathroom. I tend to think the worst.... maybe she accidentally bred some budgies, and this was what she did with the babies. Put them in trees in NYC.

Anyway, I did not know there were bird rescues. I will try those first re: getting a second bird. I'm sure they will be unimpressed by the cats.

As for taking responsibility for this or another bird, I've been a devoted pet owner of cats, including rescuing, TNR, vet bills, keeping a lookout for toxic foods, etc., since I was a little kid. I'm a vegan and animal rights activist. I take pets very seriously. So I didn't hesitate to take this bird inside as its circumstances immediately felt very wrong, and I also know rehoming a rescued animal is next to impossible, so this bird became my responsibility, cats and vet bills and all. I've loved my birdfeeder but always thought an inside bird was a no go because of the cats. But unless there is a better home for this budgie, he's an honorary cat now.

View attachment 257463
current setup with bird asleep on the wire tray. i cut up some bamboo sticks and put them in at angles since it couldn't get onto the dowel very well. also some small boxes on the trya to use as steps. cage toys arrive tomorrow.

for nighttime I plan to put the cage in the bathroom where it won't be so air conditioned and put a sheet over the cage.

·
Administrator
56,591 Posts
Thanks for your detailed response.
I agree with you - it sounds like the woman was abandoning the budgies. This just hurts my heart.
That is a tiny baby and should never have been separated from the Dad and its siblings at this age. That is why it is sitting at the bottom of the cage and sleeping so much.
It seems as though it is younger than 8 weeks from what I can see.
Do everything you can to ensure it manages to continue eat and drink. If it starts regressing, you may have to give it supplemental feedings of mash or formula.
Thank you so much for taking in this baby and giving it the love and care it so deserves. It is SO fortunate to have ended up with you! 💚💚

Since you are such a responsible pet owner, I know you will be exceedingly careful that the cats do not harm your bird.
For the sake of other members, I'm going to attach a link that we ask that everyone read:

Cats and Dogs are Predators - Birds are Prey

I'll look forward to seeing more pictures of this precious baby tomorrow after it has had a good night's sleep.

By the way, since the budgie is so young it is going to bond very closely with you. You will be its flock! Start using a word or phrase with it and it will probably talk as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your detailed response.
I agree with you - it sounds like the woman was abandoning the budgies. This just hurts my heart.
That is a tiny baby and should never have been separated from the Dad and its siblings at this age. That is why it is sitting at the bottom of the cage and sleeping so much.
It seems as though it is younger than 8 weeks from what I can see.
Do everything you can to ensure it manages to continue eat and drink. If it starts regressing, you may have to give it supplemental feedings of mash or formula.
Thank you so much for taking in this baby and giving it the love and care it so deserves. It is SO fortunate to have ended up with you! 💚💚

Since you are such a responsible pet owner, I know you will be exceedingly careful that the cats do not harm your bird.
For the sake of other members, I'm going to attach a link that we ask that everyone read:

Cats and Dogs are Predators - Birds are Prey

I'll look forward to seeing more pictures of this precious baby tomorrow after it has had a good night's sleep.

By the way, since the budgie is so young it is going to bond very closely with you. You will be its flock! Start using a word or phrase with it and it will probably talk as well.
Thank you for the cat/dog article.

I live alone so at least I can guarantee the rooms.

After watching my cats respond to the bird feeder, I know we have very different opinions about birds. This little one will not be outside its cage except in a closed locked room.

I am sorry to learn it is that young. And I wish I knew what happened to its brothers and sisters.

Thank you for your encouraging words and all your time and help 💜

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would have said keep it even if there was a lost & found poster. You seem like a wonderful owner and it makes me happy knowing this little fluffball managed to find you. Since it's so young, go out and get superfine pellets (I love Harrison's High Potency Super Fine pellets), as getting the little goofer used to pellets from a young age will make life so much easier for you down the line. My two were much more open to trying new foods when they were just beginning to wean, I wish I'd started them on pellets then. Having their diet primarily consist of pellets, with a healthy amount of fresh veg, and then a little bit of seed will make them the best version of themself they can be.

As for him sleeping with his head tucked in, I wouldn't find that concerning. I'm also pretty sure it means they're at ease, as head tucking is a vulnerable position so they'd only do it in a location they feel safe. If he's as young as he is, my two pretty much just ate, pooped and slept when they were babies. They'd have tiny little spurts of activity, but a vast majority of the day was just filling up on food and then sleeping. Any time I'd bring them out of the cage, they'd just beeline to my shoulder, hunker up against my neck and under my ear, and sleep for hours on end.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would have said keep it even if there was a lost & found poster. You seem like a wonderful owner and it makes me happy knowing this little fluffball managed to find you. Since it's so young, go out and get superfine pellets (I love Harrison's High Potency Super Fine pellets), as getting the little goofer used to pellets from a young age will make life so much easier for you down the line. My two were much more open to trying new foods when they were just beginning to wean, I wish I'd started them on pellets then. Having their diet primarily consist of pellets, with a healthy amount of fresh veg, and then a little bit of seed will make them the best version of themself they can be.

As for him sleeping with his head tucked in, I wouldn't find that concerning. I'm also pretty sure it means they're at ease, as head tucking is a vulnerable position so they'd only do it in a location they feel safe. If he's as young as he is, my two pretty much just ate, pooped and slept when they were babies. They'd have tiny little spurts of activity, but a vast majority of the day was just filling up on food and then sleeping. Any time I'd bring them out of the cage, they'd just beeline to my shoulder, hunker up against my neck and under my ear, and sleep for hours on end.
thank you for the encouraging words. The behavior you described sounds like this bird, eating, sleeping, and pooping!

1 - 20 of 209 Posts