Talk Budgies Forums banner
181 - 200 of 209 Posts

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Faces are much safer than those horrible 5 appendages that are attached to hands! Noses don't pose a threat at they don't try to pick you up!
Skipper loves to bend his head down and allow me to rub the top of it with my nose (or my chin). Let me put my hand up toward him and "Whoosh! he's gone!"

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
well I got Chester home and in the new cage.

Felix was instantly obsessed, trying to break through the bars of his own cage to get to Chester's cage. Chester did all the vocalizing and Felix was totally silent.

I let Felix out in the room and he crawled all over Chester's cage. At some points Felix was just following Chester. I got little brother vibes from Felix since Chester is bigger and louder. They did a lot of kissing but one time Chester smacked Felix away with his foot and another time when they were sharing a millet sprig through the bars, Chester nipped at Felix's foot. Chester also did this head bobby roostery looking thing at Felix.

Do they have to have a relationship where one of them (likely Chester) is the boss? Or does that just show up when Felix is getting too close?

I looked up what it would be if they were fighting, and there were no wing flapping, hissing, or chasing. Just occasional older brothery smackdowns.

On another note Chester can talk but I can't understand what he's saying yet. He also whistles and does siren noises.

Vertebrate Mesh Beak Mammal Pet supply

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Chester is showing Felix that he (Chester) intends to be the dominant one in the relationship.
At this point, I wouldn't be concerned. Chester may also be "defending" his territory (cage) from the young interloper.
After a few days time you'll have a better feel for how they are going to do with one another.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Chester is showing Felix that he (Chester) intends to be the dominant one in the relationship.
At this point, I wouldn't be concerned. Chester may also be "defending" his territory (cage) from the young interloper.
After a few days time you'll have a better feel for how they are going to do with one another.
Thank you. I'll try not to be concerned that my little baby is going to be dominated by this new presence. For the most part, it seems like Felix really wants him there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Maybe I won't rearrange Felix's cage since he definitely wants Chester around? Just add the new toys? (I know, I should wait and see how things pan out.)

EDIT: I just thought letting Felix still feel like it's his cage (by leaving his toys in there) may help him stand up to Chester a little bit more.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Maybe I won't rearrange Felix's cage since he definitely wants Chester around? Just add the new toys? (I know, I should wait and see how things pan out.)

EDIT: I just thought letting Felix still feel like it's his cage (by leaving his toys in there) may help him stand up to Chester a little bit more.
That may actually be a good idea.
We certainly don’t want Felix to end up being bullied when the time comes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
That may actually be a good idea.
We certainly don’t want Felix to end up being bullied when the time comes.
omg bullying no my poor baby!!!! (deep breath)

Hopefully they'll stick to kissing.

The vet totally understood about returning Chester if needed. I just didn't really think we would actually go there. Chester seemed so cool. I hope it's just that Felix was following him and poor Chester only just got to this new space.

Deep breaths.

Thank you for everything. Truly. 🙏

Cath

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Deep breath. That’s very likely the case. Felix is excited at the moment and Chester has just come into a new place he’s unfamiliar with. Give them a few days.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Chester is very happy, I can't see his eyes but I bet they were pinning, that can indicate a number of things but in this case he is happy, excited and curious, all good so far.
Wow, I did not expect that! I'm so happy!

Two little birds who have been very alone for a long time and need a flock. 💚

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
Felix may not understand Chester's body language at first, he was so young when you got him he may not have had much time to socialize with other birds and learn. In that second video Chester wanted to do some beak tapping and that will lead to head bobbing, these things will establish a bond between the two of them, hopefully Felix will take to all of it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Felix may not understand Chester's body language at first, he was so young when you got him he may not have had much time to socialize with other birds and learn. In that second video Chester wanted to do some beak tapping and that will lead to head bobbing, these things will establish a bond between the two of them, hopefully Felix will take to all of it.
omg wow!!!!

They did plenty of beak and tongue stuff and Chester went heavy with the head bobbing (I did not record it) but as you said Felix didn't really know what to make of it. Neither did I!

But Felix is very determined to be friends with Chester and won't let anything stand in his way.

This is so reassuring. I can't wait for tomorrow!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 · (Edited)
Hello!

For morning flight time, I took the boys out together. All Felix did was stick to Chester like glue. Wherever Chester flew, Felix flew. It seemed like Chester was getting a little frustrated. But there was no kicking or nipping by Chester this time. That is a relief. I put Chester back in his cage and held millet on both sides of the bars so they could eat millet next to each other like normal people.

I held out the travel cage to Felix and asked if he would like to go for another walk. He got right in!!! He's so smart. Since he was so eager, I thought we could do another 30 minute walk rather than a shorter walk. This time he only got scared twice. I couldn't figure out what by. By the end of it he was sitting on his perch looking straight ahead like he was driving a car.

We passed a neighbor who said hi to Felix. She hadn't met him before. I told her I found him right outside the building and she wondered if he came from "the big house on the corner" where she says a lady lets her birds out during the day. I have never seen any pet birds out on our street before, so I'm not really sure what she meant. Even if that's where he came from, I would never let him go back there. [EDIT: I think my neighbor is confused. There is a big house with a bird feeder where the wild parrots hang out during the day. But never any parakeets here.]

I am leaving Felix and Chester alone in the closed locked bedroom. Chester is afraid of cats :( while Felix doesn't care. Interestingly, the cats are more drawn to a scared bird like Chester than a clueless bird like Felix. I think that is how people deceive themselves into letting their birds and cats intermingle, because it looks like the bird and cat aren't reacting to each other. Recipe for tragedy.

Anytime I check on them, they are sitting right next to each other in their separate cages.

For my work break, I put Chester in Felix's cage but Felix just followed him around, nibbling on him when he was nearby and jumping on him if he tried to get away. That was like less than a minute. I took Chester back out and put him in his own cage and gave them both millet.

Chester gets onto my hand if I hold millet, even under these possibly stressful circumstances, so thank goodness there has not been any occasion where I've had to pick him up against his will or anything like that yet. He has also nibbled on my finger a couple of times through the bars.

I think I have to keep them separated until Felix can figure out how not to stalk his new BFF. Unless there is a way to train him to chill out?

Bird Eye Green Organ Eyelash

This is my "Felix just followed Chester onto my head" face.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Just had a nice 2-minute session where they both sat on my arm and Felix repeatedly tried to nibble on Chester's back and Chester nipped back at him each time. Then when Felix was standing there not knowing what to do, Chester would come up and push beaks with him. Chester did that twice. Then I put Felix back, we shared some millet through the cage bars, and I put Chester back.

I'm really impressed with Chester's patience. I think he's going to be a better trainer than I am.

181 - 200 of 209 Posts