Talk Budgies Forums banner
21 - 40 of 209 Posts

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Your baby looks to be about 6 to 8 weeks old in this picture. He is a simply precious little MALE budgie!!
He can't fly simply because he has not yet developed his wing muscles enough to do so.
Have you decided what you are going to name him? 💚💚

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Your baby looks to be about 6 to 8 weeks old in this picture. He is a simply precious little MALE budgie!!
He can't fly simply because he has not yet developed his wing muscles enough to do so.
Have you decided what you are going to name him? 💚💚
I'm not sure yet!

Maybe I'll name him Rocky!

He is pretty spunky and unafraid. He comes to my hand in the cage. Doesn't care when the cats are next to him.

He's conked out again now.

I'll see what sticks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The information given to you by 6055474 was not accurate.
Budgies often "tuck their heads" when they are sleeping. It is not a sign of illness and is quite normal behavior for budgies.
I strongly recommend you take into consideration whose posts you are reading before taking their advice to heart.

The Talk Budgies staff goes to great lengths to offer sound advice based on fact and research.

Staff members are: FaeryBee, Cody, StarlingWings and PoukieBear
Please use staff members information rather than that of members who may or may not have the knowledge and experience to be giving advice.

There are many things to take into consideration before getting another bird.

Do you really want another pet

1. If you decide to get another budgie in the future, please be sure to observe quarantine for the new budgie.
Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.
Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

Quarantine your new bird!
Yes - Quarantine IS necessary

It is also a good idea to always take a new budgie in to see an Avian Vet for a "well-birdie" check-up. This allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet and the vet can establish a baseline for your bird in case of any future illnesses or injuries.
If there are no Avian Vets in your area, then finding an Exotic Pet Veterinarian who has experience in dealing with small birds is the next best option.

2. Introducing the new bird to the current bird

Introducing Two Budgies

3. Flock Dynamics
Differences and Dynamics in Flocks
Your Harmonious Flock

4. Where do you plan to get the new bird?
If the time comes when you decide to get your budgie a friend, I highly recommend considering getting a bird of the same gender from either a bird rescue organization or a shelter.
These budgies need a good, safe and loving forever home.

If you are unable to adopt a rescue bird, please be sure to read the following:

Why you should buy from a Reputable/Ethical Breeder rather than a Big Box Pet Store

5. Vet Expense and Housing
Do you have the time, finances, etc to devote to another bird?
Are you ready, willing and able to house the new budgie separately on a permanent basis if it does not get along with your current bird after quarantine?

Be Prepared for Veterinary Expense
I am sorry for responding inaccurately. I watch certain videos on budgies and that is where i got that info. I will try to double check my responses next time to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
I am sorry for responding inaccurately. I watch certain videos on budgies and that is where i got that info. I will try to double check my responses next time to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
6055474: It is best for you to leave responding to members' posts to the Talk Budgies Staff.
I encourage you to read all the stickies and budgie articles to learn about budgies and the best practices for their health and well-being.
Trying to get information from videos, etc. is bound to lead to inaccurate information.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
6055474: The stickies applying to specific topics are located at the top of that specific topic’s section through the forum. (e.g. stickies having to do with Diet and Nutrition are in that specific section of the forum). You also need to read all of the articles in each of the subsections of the Articles section of Talk Budgies.
Any other questions need to be addressed in a thread of your own, not in this member’s thread.

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
He is so adorable, glad to see him climbing on the bars, shows he has some energy. I see he is color coordinated with his green ball, lol. Are his droppings solid his vent looks like it may be a bit soiled, maybe from some loose droppings.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
He is so adorable, glad to see him climbing on the bars, shows he has some energy. I see he is color coordinated with his green ball, lol. Are his droppings solid his vent looks like it may be a bit soiled, maybe from some loose droppings.
His poop has changed since I found him yesterday. At first it was more solid and dark, then more runny and green after eating the sunflower seeds. He's on millet now, "Dr Harvey's Our Best Parakeet Food."

What should his vent look like? Totally clean?

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Not necessarily just yet. It may take a day or so for the loose droppings to clear.
Once his digestive system has adjusted to the quality seed mix you purchased, then the vent area will clear up and at that time it should be totally clean.
You can gently wipe the vent area off with a damp cloth or Q-tip for him. You don't want to let the feces build up around the vent.
Since he's so young, you'll want to start introducing pellets and vegetables to him as well. In all probability he will take to them pretty quickly as he's just a baby. 💚

·
Super Moderator
18,458 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

It’s great to have you on the forums, and you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices.

Rocky (?) is an adorable little boy and I’m so glad you were able able to rescue him~

You’ve been given great advice and resources above by FaeryBee! Feel free to ask if you have any questions after reading through everything. It sounds like you’re doing all you can to make your little one comfortable!

Let us know things go~ I loved reading the updates and it seems he’s on the road to a very happy life!

Cheers! 👋

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

It’s great to have you on the forums, and you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices.

Rocky (?) is an adorable little boy and I’m so glad you were able able to rescue him~

You’ve been given great advice and resources above by FaeryBee! Feel free to ask if you have any questions after reading through everything. It sounds like you’re doing all you can to make your little one comfortable!

Let us know things go~ I loved reading the updates and it seems he’s on the road to a very happy life!

Cheers! 👋
Thank you so much! FaeryBee's advice has been invaluable. I wouldn't even have guessed he was a baby! Thank you for setting up this useful forum.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't think babies mind as much, but just a heads up that adding that many new toys at once may freak them out once they're older. Happened to me and I didn't realise until after that I'd caused Chick to have sensory overload and be trapped in a cage with a bunch of new scary looking objects that she hadn't had time to figure out and explore at her own pace. She was old enough that she could do small little flights (without much confidence), but young enough that she mainly crawled everywhere, so I was able to put her in the cage and she couldn't properly let me know that she didn't want to go in. She would freak out in the cage and desperately try to crawl out and I was confused, then it finally clicked that it was the toys. I'd thought she was just trying to get to me. Once I'd emptied the cage out she was A-Okay going inside 😕

If I buy a new toy that they haven't seen before, I leave it outside the cage somewhere they can see, but far enough not to threaten them. Over the course of a week, I'll let them get a closer look, hold it in my hands for them to stare at from my shoulders, hold treats on it so they come on down and touch it. Budgies are weird, sometimes they'll get scared of a toy they've had for weeks, because I shuffled it out of the cage for a few days. I think it took two weeks for them to realise the rope perches weren't snakes, and about a week for them to not take flight in terror from the seagrass net.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I don't think babies mind as much, but just a heads up that adding that many new toys at once may freak them out once they're older. Happened to me and I didn't realise until after that I'd caused Chick to have sensory overload and be trapped in a cage with a bunch of new scary looking objects that she hadn't had time to figure out and explore at her own pace. She was old enough that she could do small little flights (without much confidence), but young enough that she mainly crawled everywhere, so I was able to put her in the cage and she couldn't properly let me know that she didn't want to go in. She would freak out in the cage and desperately try to crawl out and I was confused, then it finally clicked that it was the toys. I'd thought she was just trying to get to me. Once I'd emptied the cage out she was A-Okay going inside 😕

If I buy a new toy that they haven't seen before, I leave it outside the cage somewhere they can see, but far enough not to threaten them. Over the course of a week, I'll let them get a closer look, hold it in my hands for them to stare at from my shoulders, hold treats on it so they come on down and touch it. Budgies are weird, sometimes they'll get scared of a toy they've had for weeks, because I shuffled it out of the cage for a few days. I think it took two weeks for them to realise the rope perches weren't snakes, and about a week for them to not take flight in terror from the seagrass net.
wow! I'll see how we do... I couldn't get his attention off the green ball. I tried to show him the new toys but he fell asleep in my hand.

If he doesn't engage with the new stuff I'll take it out and re-add it one at a time. This was helpful, thank you. Budgie psychology is new to me!

21 - 40 of 209 Posts