Talk Budgies Forums banner
161 - 180 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Hi everyone,

If I'm not boring anyone I thought I could give some updates and ask a few more questions.

I put in the adoption application for Chester, the lone budgie at the vet's office. They require a home visit. I haven't heard back from them yet.

Felix seems to be getting bigger.

Today he bit me painfully - twice! I was really not expecting that.

The first time I had just opened his cage door. He immediately flew to the door opening. I offered him my hand to step on. He reached down and painfully bit my fingertip. I cried out "ow!" (this part I did not have control over) and closed the cage door and left the room for 20 minutes.

I came back and tried again. He immediately flew out to play on my lap. During our flight times, he doesn't fly at all, although he has the option to. He just plays with toys on my lap or crawls around my shoulders. He was nibbling on his toys in my hand and then reached over and bit another fingertip! It was so painful I almost grabbed him, thank goodness something stopped me.

I stood up to put him back in his cage but he didn't want to go back in. I ended up carefully wiping him off using the doorway of the cage (which I've never done before as he always chose when to go back in), and then I left the room and googled "budgies biting" for half an hour.

I came back in with a new toy, cleaned the cage, and moved him to my side in my office.

Now when I stick my fingers in the cage he is VERY excited to nibble them (he's not usually this excited) but he has been more gentle.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm also thinking of trying out www.squawkboxes.com. Anyone have any experience with this service?

Many thanks,
Cath

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
I am not familiar with it but in looking at the website they do not show an example of what is in the package every month, they only state the items that might be in it. I am always skeptical of these kinds of monthly things no matter what the venue, if you add up what you would pay for it for a year you could probably buy everything you would receive for less and there is probably what I would call useless stuff in it also. Small bird at $26.50 / month is $318.00 a year, you could buy many things that you know your bird would like for that amount rather than taking the chance on unknown stuff, depends on if you are open to seeing what you get for $26.50 a month.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I'm not going to lie, I ordered one of these:

They also offer a subscription service, but I'm curious to see what the initial box is like before signing up for anything.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Felix is getting older and more independent. He's trying out his dominance by biting you. It isn't necessarily a fun time.
I have two budgies that like to sit on me but every once in a while they will take a good chomp of my neck, arm, etc. for no good reason.

Budgies generally bite because they are scared, they are trying to show dominance and/or they are protecting their territory.
When you have a bird, you have to work within the constraints of the bird's preferences rather than your own.
When a budgie is at the "teenage" state where the hormones kick-in they tend to become more aggressive.

Budgies may bite because they are afraid, or to show dominance.

If your budgie does bite you, even though it may really hurt, you should try to ignore it.
Another option is to try to get your budgie to repeatedly "step up" from finger to finger several times in a row right after he bites.
When he realizes this will happen every time he bites, he may stop.
Some people push back gently on the budgie’s beak when it bites. The budgie will stop biting in order to regain his balance.

Biting - A Learned and Often Avoidable Behavior

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
I am not familiar with it but in looking at the website they do not show an example of what is in the package every month, they only state the items that might be in it. I am always skeptical of these kinds of monthly things no matter what the venue, if you add up what you would pay for it for a year you could probably buy everything you would receive for less and there is probably what I would call useless stuff in it also. Small bird at $26.50 / month is $318.00 a year, you could buy many things that you know your bird would like for that amount rather than taking the chance on unknown stuff, depends on if you are open to seeing what you get for $26.50 a month.
Thank you for your insight Cody! Yes, I need to figure out the stuff he likes. I wouldn't say I know that yet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Felix is getting older and more independent. He's trying out his dominance by biting you. It isn't necessarily a fun time.
I have two budgies that like to sit on me but every once in a while they will take a good chomp of my neck, arm, etc. for no good reason.

Budgies generally bite because they are scared, they are trying to show dominance and/or they are protecting their territory.
When you have a bird, you have to work within the constraints of the bird's preferences rather than your own.
When a budgie is at the "teenage" state where the hormones kick-in they tend to become more aggressive.

Budgies may bite because they are afraid, or to show dominance.

If your budgie does bite you, even though it may really hurt, you should try to ignore it.
Another option is to try to get your budgie to repeatedly "step up" from finger to finger several times in a row right after he bites.
When he realizes this will happen every time he bites, he may stop.
Some people push back gently on the budgie’s beak when it bites. The budgie will stop biting in order to regain his balance.

Biting - A Learned and Often Avoidable Behavior
FaeryBee, you are an angel. What a relief to read your interpretation and solution. I think I will try the "step up" or push back because I would like to show him some reaction and not let him think it is ok (since it hurts). I will read the article now.

Lots of love,
Cath

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hi everyone,

If I'm not boring anyone I thought I could give some updates and ask a few more questions.

I put in the adoption application for Chester, the lone budgie at the vet's office. They require a home visit. I haven't heard back from them yet.

Felix seems to be getting bigger.

Today he bit me painfully - twice! I was really not expecting that.

The first time I had just opened his cage door. He immediately flew to the door opening. I offered him my hand to step on. He reached down and painfully bit my fingertip. I cried out "ow!" (this part I did not have control over) and closed the cage door and left the room for 20 minutes.

I came back and tried again. He immediately flew out to play on my lap. During our flight times, he doesn't fly at all, although he has the option to. He just plays with toys on my lap or crawls around my shoulders. He was nibbling on his toys in my hand and then reached over and bit another fingertip! It was so painful I almost grabbed him, thank goodness something stopped me.

I stood up to put him back in his cage but he didn't want to go back in. I ended up carefully wiping him off using the doorway of the cage (which I've never done before as he always chose when to go back in), and then I left the room and googled "budgies biting" for half an hour.

I came back in with a new toy, cleaned the cage, and moved him to my side in my office.

Now when I stick my fingers in the cage he is VERY excited to nibble them (he's not usually this excited) but he has been more gentle.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm also thinking of trying out www.squawkboxes.com. Anyone have any experience with this service?

Many thanks,
Cath
Hello, I love your wee bird. I just wanted to say that although I haven’t used Squawk boxes myself, I do know people who subscribe and love them. I hope you love yours too, if you go ahead with ordering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 · (Edited)
So I'm picking up Chester on Tuesday.

Felix is extra bitey today. It is all he does to my fingers now. Will this affect his becoming friends with Chester? I am worried he may be very bitey and rude to Chester. (I did read the article on introducing budgies to each other.) Chester is about a year old and was pretty mellow when we met him.

EDIT: I tried to take a video but Felix knew I was trying to record him and just stared at my phone!

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
I suggest you take this introduction slowly, do not just put Chester in the cage with Felix. I would put Chester in Felix's old cage and put them next to one another since the vet said you do not have to observe the quarantine period, and see what the reaction is. Beacuse of where Felix is in his life stage he is becoming more independent and maybe territorial and may not want what he sees as an intruder in his cage until the boys have had a chance to chat and observe one another for a while. Remember that Chester may be a bit freaked out being in a new home and you may find that his reaction to the cats is unfavorable. I hope all works out well and the boys hit it off from the start.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
I suggest you take this introduction slowly, do not just put Chester in the cage with Felix. I would put Chester in Felix's old cage and put them next to one another since the vet said you do not have to observe the quarantine period, and see what the reaction is. Beacuse of where Felix is in his life stage he is becoming more independent and maybe territorial and may not want what he sees as an intruder in his cage until the boys have had a chance to chat and observe one another for a while. Remember that Chester may be a bit freaked out being in a new home and you may find that his reaction to the cats is unfavorable. I hope all works out well and the boys hit it off from the start.
Thank you so much!!

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Cath,

Cody's advice to you is excellent. Let the two have a few days to get to know one another while in different cages and then try to introduce them in neutral territory.
If/when the time comes for them to go into one cage, please be sure you rearrange everything in that cage to help prevent any birdie (Felix) from becoming aggressive and territorial.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Cath,

Cody's advice to you is excellent. Let the two have a few days to get to know one another while in different cages and then try to introduce them in neutral territory.
If/when the time comes for them to go into one cage, please be sure you rearrange everything in that cage to help prevent any birdie (Felix) from becoming aggressive and territorial.
Thank you FaeryBee. 💚

Yes I am ordering some new toys to go in the "new cage"!

Felix was sweet and lovey this evening and redacted his no-hands policy. I guess I must have interrupted his important work earlier. 😬

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 · (Edited)
Since Felix had enjoyed his subway outing in his travel cage so much (when we were going to the vet in August, a 1.5 hour journey each way with walking and subways), I thought I would try taking him in his travel cage on my half hour neighborhood walk here in suburban Brooklyn (lower buildings than Manhattan but still trains and cars).

He was agog at everything but several times to my horror seemed to be frantically trying to get out of the cage. When that happened I stopped walking and tried to calm him down, which happened within a few seconds. I was carrying him at chest level.

If I had to guess, he was scared of something in one direction and trying to get out the other direction. There were only really vehicles and trees. He hadn't done this during our first trip in August so I felt pretty bad.

Soundwise there was no screaming, not sure if he was too scared to even do that, just quiet chirps all the way through.

When we got home and back in the big cage and we debriefed on what just happened, he came up to my hand and for the first time in a month let me pet him with my fingers. (Currently he hates fingers and only lets me pet him with my nose, rotating his head under it, which is not a very precise endeavor.) (To be clear he sits in my hand and plays with toys, but I'm not allowed to move my utterly vile fingers.) (And to be even more clear I never reach for him or make him do anything. My cats have trained me to respect boundaries. If he has an experience-induced finger hatred it may be from the vet or [hopefully not] from the pet sitter. But then he let her do this, not me:

Hand Parrot Finger Gesture Feather
)

Anyway if I'm still allowed on this board after terrifying my poor bird, I was hoping you guys could weigh in on how bad of a fright he was getting and whether it's worth going on a walk again. Maybe I could keep a cloth or bag ready if he gets spooked like that. I could see how he reacts to the travel cage next time too, which I keep in the big cage as a jungle gym/foraging pit.

I had a similar experience with a young cat who was getting very restless and mean at home so I got him a harness and took him to a city park for some sensory stimulation, where he was instead terrified. But when he got back home he had acquired... a new appreciation for his sedate life. (EDIT: adding that the cat was 100% terrified during our entire 3-minute outing, so we never did it again and had to figure out other enrichment. Felix had about five 10-second scares during our half hour walk.)

Thank you all for your time and help. And I'm so sorry if I have made a very big bird owner mistake. 😬 I just really thought we had done this before very well.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
I'm sure he was just unfamiliar with the great big world outside his travel carrier.
I'd definitely take him for another walk.
Perhaps just do 10 minutes at a time until he feels safer when he's out.
I'm not sure I'd cover him when he's spooked though.
I think you are better off calmly talking him through it.
Covering him when he is already afraid may make him much more frantic.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
I'm sure he was just unfamiliar with the great big world outside his travel carrier.
I'd definitely take him for another walk.
Perhaps just do 10 minutes at a time until he feels safer when he's out.
I'm not sure I'd cover him when he's spooked though.
I think you are better off calmly talking him through it.
Covering him when he is already afraid may make him much more frantic.
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

🙏🙏🙏

I'm so relieved I didn't scar him 😅

And he's still letting me pet him, which is so pleasant.

💚💚💚

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
I'm glad he is allowing you to pet him. That's always a plus.
My budgies only allow the "nose pets" themselves! LOL
Wow, I didn't even know that was a thing! I feel much better knowing I'm not the only one relegated to nose-petting. I was trying to figure out where I went wrong.

My sensitive cat won't let me touch him either, but is too stunned at the vet to object to being touched. So maybe that is happening with Felix and the pet sitter. Whereas Felix can put up boundaries with me. 🤔 A bird-shaped puzzle.

161 - 180 of 209 Posts