Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
In need of some advice, I’ve got two 8 month old boys, Bill and Ted.
They have always gotten on since we got them back in February. However we moved home around a month or so ago and they stayed with family for a couple of weeks while we focused on cleaning our old home and packed. The flat we lived in was rather small and them staying with family seemed a lot less stressful for them as they weren’t keen on all the sudden change and boxes at home.

Our family have a little rescue Budgie who we have had for years, she’s a girl and they quickly all became play pals during Bill and Ted’s stay. Bill became quite infatuated with her while Ted wasn’t really very interested.

They then moved back in with us once we were settled back into our new home, they didn’t seem to miss my family’s Budgie and we have been lucky enough to get them a nice big cage that had doubled the amount of space they previously had.

We’ve noticed over the past week or so they’ve started to fight a lot more than they have before, it didn’t seem too serious as it wasn’t for very long and then they would be the best of friends again afterwards. Then it got worse and we noticed that they were locking beaks and lifting their legs up to each other almost trying to kick each other down.

Cut to this morning when I noticed that Ted had a little bit of blood above his cere, I then noticed on the same side his eye had blood in at the bottom. We took him straight to the vets and the vet said that it looks like something happened to a fresh pin feather causing it to bleed and go into his eye. There was nothing medically wrong thank goodness. The vet thinks it was most likely an injury sustained while fighting. But this now leaves us with the dilemma of what do we do with our boys. I’ve currently got both of them in separate cages while I decide if they can continue living together.

Poor Ted is a gentle giant and is usually on the receiving end of Bill getting a bit aggressive. Ted’s more happy to perch and sit with us while Bill has always been harder to tame and a bit of a wild child.

Just looking for opinions on what our next step is, unfortunately we don’t have the space to keep them in separate cages forever.
The vet suggested that Bill may be happier in an aviary with lots of other birds. But the thought of splitting them up is quite upsetting, however if it is what is best for both of them than we would look into finding him somewhere for him.

Has anyone else had a similar situation and what did you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
60,591 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

Bill and Ted should never have been housed with a female.
Doing so stimulated Bill's hormones and now he's acting aggressive toward Ted as he wants to show his dominance.

What I'm going to advise is that you separate the two of them into individual cages for now.
That doesn't mean it is necessarily going to be a "forever" separation.
If you can, put the cages in different rooms and keep them apart for a few weeks to a month.
During this time, limit the amount of protein in their diet and ensure they get no more than 8 hours of daylight per day.
This will help bring them out of condition. Ensure Bill has a great deal of activity - swings, ladders and play time.
Keeping him busy will help reduce his urges.

Then put the cages next to one another for about a week.
When the time comes, re-introduce the two outside the cages in NEUTRAL territory under careful supervision.
Do this a few times to see how they get along.
If all seems well, ensure you rearrange the cage completely that the two will be occupying together.
This will help reduce any territorial behavior.

If these steps do not work - then you can consider rehoming Bill but I would try everything else before doing so.
I disagree with the vet about Bill being in an aviary.
If Bill has ongoing aggressive tendencies, being with a lot other budgies is just going to exacerbate his temperament, not lessen it.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads