Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Been awhile since I've posted but I've been having a lot of trouble trying to find a bird carrier that is airline-approved and small enough to fit below the seat. The one's I've found are too flimsy because the airline wants to make sure everything locks without having to use twist-ties or the little "lips" most cages have to attach the top to the bottom.

Does anyone know of one they can vouch for?? I leave two weeks from today and am scared I'm not going to find one! I've considered buying a small hard rodent/cat carrier and drilling a whole to put a perch in. The food dishes must be sturdy so I can't just leave a food and water dish in there without having it firmly attached. I guess that goes without saying, though.

Anyway, thank you so much for the help!

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
Have you checked with your airline to ensure they are going to allow you to bring the budgie on the plane in the passenger area?

Doing so generally costs extra and the amount charged varies by airline.

Additionally, each airline may have its own regulations with regard to the type carrier they will allow.

The one in this link may possibly suit your purposes:
Petmate Travel Carrier

I have this little carrier and know my lovebird would be quite happy in it on an airplane trip.
He loves to play in the carrier and doesn't need a perch in it.

However, I don't know what kind of personality your budgie has, nor have you indicated how long the trip on the plan will be.
If the trip is only a couple of hours long, you won't need to worry about providing food and water for that short period of time.
Kaytee Come Along Small Animal Carrier

Depending on the airline, you can often use the "Grreat Choice" line of carriers which meet the requirements of the USDA for shipping live animals.

The X-Small size measures 20" L x 13" W x 11" H

You can use zip ties on each corner and on the door for additional safety.

You can fit a perch into the crate and use a dish for pellets/seed and use vegetables as a water source.

Cushion the bottom of the crate with a lot of soft paper towels.

Since airplanes are cold, I'd recommend you wrap the crate securely in a large bath towel to prevent drafts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My little Aiden is super peppy and has a lot of energy. I've traveled with him a few hours by car many times over the years. Overall, the total travel day will be around 8 hours since there are 2-2.5 hour plane rides with a short layover. I'm not worried about him getting too stressed out, but of course being a bird he will be to some extent. I'll definitely make sure it's padded on the inside and has a blanket for the outside. The airline (United) does indeed take birds, just need to make sure the size and durability is taken into consideration. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
When I take my budgie to the vet I use a cat carrier- the bottom of it has holes that are big enough for the perch to be attached.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion! I ordered the small cage FaeryBee suggested and a soft case that goes around it. I'm going to see how that works and if not, I may just take your advice! I didn't know they had holes that could fit perches!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.