Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our budgie Amazon layed her first egg yesterday!I took a quick pic of it today.This is our first ever egg & are hopeful that everything will be ok.She has picked the only box that does not have the concave bottom (circle drilled out) it is just flat as this box must have been brought without looking at the bottom,will her egg(s) be ok in this type of box?I only noticed after taking the pic & the egg is at the side of the box.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
It is possible to do what i did in this case - cut some wood about 20-30mm thick and carve or drill your hollow into it then insert it into the nest box. Worked perfectly for my birds.

Alternatively, you can pack the nest box with an inch or two of nesting material, and your bird will create a hollow area when it sits. Easy to find materials include rolled oats or oatbran (edible and a great nest material). Of course there are budgie safe pines and other materials available, there are plenty of threads already mentioning these.

At the end of the day, it doesnt matter TOO much that the eggs arent in a concave. The hen will dutifully gather them under herself every time she is sitting. The only concern may be if the hen flicks one as she is leaving, and there is no concave to slow its movement and it hits a wall. This isnt common but possible. Also eggs all over the place make it hard to judge where to land when the hen or **** jump inside. Again not common, but lots of things 'can' go wrong and having a concave helps, so trying to make an insert (even cardboard would work at the proper thickness).

Concaves and nesting material are vital when it comes to chicks and preventing splayed legs. keep us informed :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Are any of your other boxes that have concaves the same design as this one? If you have one that looks the same you could swap them. Keep a close watch to see if she accepts the change and if she doesn't you could swap them back again. She is not likely to hatch many chicks if her eggs roll everywhere

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have a box exactly the same as this one & originally we used pine shavings & none of our birds like them?She currently has 3 eggs & I am too scared to touch or try to move them.I might try the oats & see what she does.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You can either sand out a small hole in the base of the nest box, but that would require taking the nest box and the eggs away from the hen. I would add seed or shavings to the nest box quickly, you will find once a hen has eggs she will usually not try and move the shavings.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can either sand out a small hole in the base of the nest box, but that would require taking the nest box and the eggs away from the hen. I would add seed or shavings to the nest box quickly, you will find once a hen has eggs she will usually not try and move the shavings.
Thanks for the advice I didn't think about seed & Oscar her mate is taking seed to the box to feed her & all the husk is starting to gather up in the bottom of the box.I will get some more shavings & add them too.

·
(retired budgie breeder)
3,772 Posts
No need for me to add anything to this other than she is BEAUTIFUL!

are you colony breeding?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No need for me to add anything to this other than she is BEAUTIFUL!

are you colony breeding?
Yes we are colony breeding.This is our first time breeding budgies & we have aan outdoor avery with 10 budgies (4 hens 6 cocks) We thought our Lutino was a girl but I have found out on here he is a boy!& a younger budgie who is in her own cage inside.To begin with we decided to get a few pairs & let them mate up themselves,we only have one established pair.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i am a newbie myself n have one breeding pair.. my pair raised the first clutch and r incubating the second. i changed my nestbox after the first batch came out of the nest and this new nest doest not have a concave. i added wood shavings to the box and now the eggs r nicely in a hollow in the bedding.. however one egg got damaged as the youngest of the first batch stil enters the nest at nite to sleep in.. wood shavings worked fine for me and hope it works out for u too.. good luck :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.