Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
59,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many of you know, neither Pedro nor Poppy are hand-tamed as they were rescue lovebirds from less than optimum conditions.

I adopted Pedro and Poppy September 7, 2011
They have a lovely F040 Flight Cage, lots of toys, good food, and out-of-cage time each and every day.

I coax them back into their cage after their out-of-cage time each day by giving them little millet ball treats which they accept from my fingers.

Both are curious about Peachy, although the closest the three are allowed to be is with them all safely in their own cage with the two cages pushed next to one another.
Peachy is generally out of his cage when I clean the bird cages each morning and Pedro is fascinated watching Peachy climb all over me. Over the past few months, Pedro has seemed interested in interacting on a closer level.

Today, during Pedro and Poppy's out-of-cage time, I went into the room with them and simply sat quietly without moving.

Pedro was very curious and interested and obviously wanted to be near me but was still quite wary.

Although this may sound very silly, it was a great experience for me when Pedro actually chose to land on me today!

It only lasted for a couple of moments but it was his choice. I simply sat very still and let him decide whether or not he was brave enough to try it.

After several very close "tries" where he'd fly over to my leg and then hover like a hummingbird, he actually landed on my knee. It was a wonderful moment.

I plan to spend more time with them during their out-of-cage time in the coming days to see if we might have a repeat of today's success.

Thank you for allowing me to share my happiness with you!

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,593 Posts
Thats good news. I never knew he was not tame. Is there a reason pedro and poppy do not have out of cage time with peachy? I was thinking peachys tameness may help encourage the others to come to you?

·
Super Moderator
19,684 Posts
Congratulations, Deb! That's wonderful, and this made me smile. Looks like Pedro is definitely progressing!
Keep us posted for sure, your lovies have truly made a lovebird lover out of everyone!

·
Administrator
59,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats good news. I never knew he was not tame. Is there a reason pedro and poppy do not have out of cage time with peachy? I was thinking peachys tameness may help encourage the others to come to you?
Pedro and Poppy are rescue birds and extremely bonded to one another. Poppy is aggressive and territorial.
Peachy was attacked in the past by another lovebird (Lovey) and I don't want to take ANY chances of either Pedro or Poppy hurting him.

That is amazing, and very rewarding! I bet that made your day! Looking forward to hearing what sweet things he does next :)
Thanks, it was a special moment for sure. :hug:

Congratulations, Deb! That's wonderful, and this made me smile. Looks like Pedro is definitely progressing!
Keep us posted for sure, your lovies have truly made a lovebird lover out of everyone!
Thank you, I'm very happy that Pedro has come this far. :)

·
Member of the Month September 2012
3,691 Posts
Deb - this is absolutely Fabulous! I am So happy for you - a real cause for rejoicing, especially after all this time - I really can't think of anything more rewarding!
Love you, and thank you for pointing me to this Wonderful news!
(PS - I've always Loved Pedro)

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.....Congrat's nice lady...that is an awesome development.....:)

·
Member of the Month March 2015
1,832 Posts
Well done! It just goes to show what patience can do for a bird! :) Thank you for sharing this great news about Pedro!

Reactions: Jo Ann and FaeryBee

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,707 Posts
That's awesome and quite promising too!! :clap: :party: Surely with more time, Pedro will even be more brave and will choose to spend more time with you. Eventually, even Poppy would be more accepting of you and also start to perch on you to be close to Pedro.
Here's to the start of a new and improved friendship with your lovies and may their trust in you increase and become solidified as time goes by! :D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Awesome Deb!!! Its a wonderful feeling when an animal takes such a giant step and places his trust in you. Or as Bogie would say, "Louie, this looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship"! Good job Pedro!!!:clap::2thumbs: Good job Deb!!! :D

·
Member of the Month June 2014
10,305 Posts
Oh how very exciting for Pedro to finely hop on you. Now that Pedro is trying to be with you it will become easy, Pedro is beginning to trust you and he feels comfortable on you.. Maybe Pedro is learning things from Peachy and taking it all in.. How exciting maybe next time we will see a photo of you with Peachy and Pedro on your shoulder at the same time.. When Pedro gets more use to being on you he won't want to get off he will stay with you all day...Now i think Pedro is in love with you Deb..

Congratulations Deb. I can't wait to see a photo and thanks for sharing your moment with us... Way to go Pedro,.

·
Administrator
59,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your kind and encouraging comments about little Pedro. It means a lot to have people who understand and can share in the excitement of such a break-through after all this time. :eek:

I'm hoping for a repeat of his success in the near future. :fingerx:

·
Member of the Month June 2014
10,305 Posts
Hey Deb. Pedro will come to you again he is a little shy at the moment and not use to coming to you maybe have some treats in your hand to courage him over to you... This takes a lot of time and patience You will gain Pedro's trust....It's only been a little while when he jumped on you but he will be back on you again Pedro is a brave little bird and he loves his mommy..... Usually when you take no notice of them they are all over you that happened to me with Buster I sat quietly and with him out and then after a while he came and sat on me... Pedro you can do it you know you can be brave and hop on your mommy she will look after you......I just love Pedro and peachy plus Poppy..... Pedro will come back on you again you have to spend hours and hours with them...... But you are making progress with him that is good..... Keep up the good work Deb....

·
Administrator
59,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, Lyn

I had never had any intention of deliberately trying to "tame" Pedro or Poppy.

I've always been very content for Pedro and Poppy to simply play together and have a good life.
I was very happy that they would take the millet from me and (usually) go back in their cage at the end of their out-of-cage time with no problem.

Even if it was a one-time occurrence, I will continue to be happy with both Pedro and Poppy just as they are. :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.