Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Long time reader first time poster as of today. I've been reading and learning for quite some time now from this forum and have come quite a way since. I started breeding birds 2 or so years ago simply because I've always enjoyed the process of life. Before then I had many other things I bred and kept, but that is for another time!

So, what I have here today is some of the birds I'm not so sure about (and some I actually am and just want to reinforce if I am right). Any and all help would be commendable!

1) First up is what I believe to be a Yellowface II (Some type of blue) Spangle female named 'Colors'. Am I correct?

2) Next up is the male I actually am pairing her with named 'Felix'. I believe him to be identical in that he is a Yellowface II (some type of blue) Spangle male.

3) Next up is my Patriarch, 'Blue Daddy'. I want to say he is a Full body color Greywing Sky Blue, but I'm not entirely sure.

4) The girl ('Momma Keet') he is paired with I don't have any good pictures of, but this will have to do. I know she's a form of yellowface, but I don't know much else or even a guess to anything else. I'll try to get a new picture, but she's been in the box the past week!

(her brother is the bird on the right in the next picture)

5) Next up is 'Yellow Bird', one of my other Patriarchs (and arguably the better of the two due to his parenting habits). Here is where I'm stumped. I know he is a Green series (or yellow, depending on your interpretation of budgie genetics) but he has no green. At all. He has a diluted body color, but isn't a dilute (to my understanding). What is he? (Yellow one of the left).

I'd also like to note, the budgie to the right is the brother of 'Momma Keet' (4), if that helps with the ID of her colors in the least bit.

6) 'Yellow Bird's mate, a DEC, is now seen here.

And because I love the next two pictures...

7) The 'Doc', a grey English budgie enjoying some outside nap time.

8) And my two English girls, (un-named) a Green normal and Grey normal.

9) Last bird for this post, we have the eldest son of (5) and (6) here, named 'Wellow Bird' (my nephew named him when he still couldn't pronounce his Y, so it just stuck.) Again, I'm confused as to his mutation. Understanding him and his father will greatly increase my knowledge as to what the other younger siblings are. I know he is some type of pied, but what, exactly. And again, the solid yellow without greens throws me off!

Thank you so much everyone for your help, I'm glad to be a posting part of this community now!

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
2) Next up is the male I actually am pairing her with named 'Felix'. I believe him to be identical in that he is a Yellowface II (some type of blue) Spangle male.
Yellow face II opaline spangle sky blue **** bird. You should not pair him with Colors if they are related.

·
5,435 Posts
4) The girl ('Momma Keet') he is paired with I don't have any good pictures of, but this will have to do. I know she's a form of yellowface, but I don't know much else or even a guess to anything else. I'll try to get a new picture, but she's been in the box the past week!

(her brother is the bird on the right in the next picture)
Yellow face I greywing or dilute sky blue hen.

·
5,435 Posts
5) Next up is 'Yellow Bird', one of my other Patriarchs (and arguably the better of the two due to his parenting habits). Here is where I'm stumped. I know he is a Green series (or yellow, depending on your interpretation of budgie genetics) but he has no green. At all. He has a diluted body color, but isn't a dilute (to my understanding). What is he? (Yellow one of the left).

I'd also like to note, the budgie to the right is the brother of 'Momma Keet' (4), if that helps with the ID of her colors in the least bit.
Greywing dark green(?) **** bird. Might also be cinnamon (does he have pink feet?).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yellow face II opaline spangle sky blue **** bird. You should not pair him with Colors if they are related.
They are not related. In fact, they were purchased in different states from different breeders. None of my pairings are related in any form and I've been very careful on the documentation of that.

In regards to 3, blue daddy, what makes.you say opaline greywing vs full body color greywing?

Thank you for the help so far!

Edit: and no, yellow bird (#5) does not have pink feet.

·
5,435 Posts
In regards to 3, blue daddy, what makes.you say opaline greywing vs full body color greywing?
The opaline gene lightens his head bars and causes the triangular patch of blue on the back of his neck between his wings. His body color appears to be diluted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ah I see, that does make a bit more sense in that way. Thank you Susan. So we will go with Greywing Opaline (sky or cobalt) at the moment.

Anyone else have any comments or ideas on any of them? Especially they yellow ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I take it no one else has any input or opinions to give me a closer idea on what some of the mutations in question might be?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Noah
I am no expert in mutations, but you do have the most beautiful flock!:love: I like the blue one most(blue my favourite colour) and then the Momma Keet look like one of mine, but mine is a very small bird.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Dries and Elsabé for your kind words on my flock.

Susan, I'll go ahead and PM them and see if they have any further input, but I'll take your guesses as pretty solid regardless. I just like to always hear with others have to say.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Opaline Spangle Goldenface Cobalt

Spangle Goldenface Cobalt (has a violet factor too I think)

Opaline Greywing Violet Cobalt perhaps, but body colour does appear Diluted. Could be an Opaline Dilute Violet, or an Opaline Greywing Cobalt.
(This one is my favourite)

Yellowface (Type 1 perhaps) Dilute Violet Cobalt.

Both appear to be Dilutes to me. A Dilute Greygreen and a Dilute Yellowface Type 2 Skyblue.

A Double Factor Spangle (Blue Series).

Normal Grey

Normal Grey and Normal Light Green.

Dilute Greygreen perhaps? Might have Opaline too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Opaline Spangle Goldenface Cobalt

--

Spangle Goldenface Cobalt (has a violet factor too I think)

What makes you say the first one is opaline vs the other not? and now that you mention it goldenface does make more sense...
--

Opaline Greywing Violet Cobalt perhaps, but body colour does appear Diluted. Could be an Opaline Dilute Violet, or an Opaline Greywing Cobalt.
(This one is my favourite)

I wonder, if I got pictures of his offspring (with the female he is with) would that be a huge factor in determining his true mutation? Or at least a huge leap in the right direction?
--

Yellowface (Type 1 perhaps) Dilute Violet Cobalt.

---

Both appear to be Dilutes to me. A Dilute Greygreen and a Dilute Yellowface Type 2 Skyblue.

Dilute GreyGreen... that actually makes a lot of sense.

On a side note, the 2nd one you ID'd (dilute yellowface type 2 skyblue) is related to the one above, Yellowface dilute violet cobalt.
--

A Double Factor Spangle (Blue Series).

I disagree, I believe DEC simply because she never developed iris rings (as is in her picture). As well as the fact her offspring with the proposed Dilute GreyGreen above had the very last bird you ID'd as their offspring (as well as others, of course).
--
Normal Grey

--

Normal Grey and Normal Light Green.

--

Dilute Greygreen perhaps? Might have Opaline too.
My notes about him are above.
--

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
What makes you say the first one is opaline vs the other not? and now that you mention it goldenface does make more sense...

The wings have a spread of Blue. Opaline Spangles have the body colour in the wings. The other one didn't seem to show any body colour in the wings.
--

I wonder, if I got pictures of his offspring (with the female he is with) would that be a huge factor in determining his true mutation? Or at least a huge leap in the right direction?

Possibly.
--

Dilute GreyGreen... that actually makes a lot of sense.

On a side note, the 2nd one you ID'd (dilute yellowface type 2 skyblue) is related to the one above, Yellowface dilute violet cobalt.

Then he's probably a Dilute then and not a greywing?
--

I disagree, I believe DEC simply because she never developed iris rings (as is in her picture). As well as the fact her offspring with the proposed Dilute GreyGreen above had the very last bird you ID'd as their offspring (as well as others, of course).

Then you are right. I had assumed that was a baby. If you say she's got no iris rings then must be a DEC. However I haven't seen any DECs in my country so kind of got used to identifying black eyed whites or yellows as DF Spangles. lol
--

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.