Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New budgie is aprox 2 months old (says pet store). The also say he is a male (not so sure about that). I've had him 1 week. I noticed his cere is a little flaky. It's also gotten a bit darker in the week I've had him. Is it changing color? Is this normal to have a bit of peeling or is this the start of mites?

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Looks completely normal to me :)

The cere often flakes right before and during a molt, and given your little ones age the first molt could start relatively soon so a bit of flaking would be expected :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
When I got my Sweetie I took him to the vet for a wellness check (his first time at the vet, he was over a year old, I'm his second owner). He also had this flakiness; the vet told me it he had dry skin. Now I try and keep a humidifier going, especially as with the ehat on for winter it can get really dry inside.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are in southern colorado (very dry). I know he wasn't drinking/eating much when I first got him (from fear). Now that he is getting used to us I see him eat/drink all the time. They had him on a seed diet. I'm still feeding him seed but have added mash (veggies,Quinoa with a little chia seed and millet mixed in) he is just starting to get brave enough to try it. I will try puting a cool mist humidifier in his area. I've been bringing his cage next to my bath every night and he seems to love the moisture and the extra attention. So glad you don't think it is mites. I am obsessed with him...mothers worry. Lol!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks completely normal to me

The cere often flakes right before and during a molt, and given your little ones age the first molt could start relatively soon so a bit of flaking would be expected
Cute Little Birdies, do you think my little one is male of female? I see from your other posts you would be the one to ask. ?

·
Member of the Month March 2015
1,885 Posts
Your little boy is just going through a normal molt. You might also see him rub his cere or head on perches, cage bars, your fingers, etc. You can mist him lightly with some room-temperature water to help with the itchiness. Budgies go through several molts during their first year, so you might see this a few more times in the near future. :)

Reactions: liblue and Jonah

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He has started rubbing his head and beak on everything...and grooming himself a lot. That must be what's going on. I will read up on molting and I'll get a mist bottle next time I go to the store. Thank you!

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
One handsome little fellow...:love:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts