Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm pretty new here and I absolutely LOVE the wisdom and kind people that I've been met w/thus far.

If anyone would be so kind as to assist with naming my mutations, I would greatly appreciate it. I've listed them in my profile, but I very well may be incorrect. Seeing that I have four breeding pairs, I'd love to hear what you think the babies could look like too!!

Pistachio (above)

Mated with:

Guacamole:

Sunny:

Mated with Sprite:
(American parakeet on top)

Punky (crested dom. Pied):

Mated with:
Sleeping YF cobalt/violet Eng. Budgie (Zira):

And

Crested dom. Pied yf tufted clearwing 'Jellybean' [in pic above] with:
Crested, True rainbow (Easter):

I'd love to hear what everyone has to say.

Additionally, if I've miscatagorized any genetic variations, please feel free to click on my gallery on my profile and tell me what mutation you believe them to be.

http://talkbudgies.com/photoplog/index.php?u=9274

Many thanks,
~Stacia

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
guacamole (the one with the chick) looks opaline...I'm new to budgies in general so i'm trying to learn mutations...check this thread of mine, i posted a mutations website, may be helpful to you also :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you about Mommy Guacamole being a 'normal opaline'. She does however, have a teeny little pied spot on the back of her head

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Calling all experts on genetics, please!

Wow, thank you for the compliments!!

Anyone, anyone...I'd love to hear genetics from the experts, please!!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Pistachio & Guacamole
Pistachio’s picture is a bit washed out but I think he is a type 2 yellow face greywing. Guacamole is an opaline light green.
If neither bird is split for any mutations all the chicks would be normal greens. Being split for no other mutations is very rare so expect some variety. The greywing gene is recessive so the hen would have to be split for greywing to get greywing chicks. The opaline gene is sex-linked so the **** would have to be split for opaline to get opaline chicks. Green is dominant so would need to be split for blue to get blue chicks.

Sunny & Sprite
Sunny is a yellow face recessive pied sky blue & Sprite is a normal light green. As with the last pair if the are not split for other mutation the chicks will all be normal greens. The recessive pied gene would need to come from both parents to get recessive pied chicks. To get blue the **** would have to be split for blue. The yellow face gene is dominant so if the **** bird is split for blue some of the chicks will be yellow face

Punky & Zira
Crested dominant pied light green & yellow face cobalt violet
About half of the chicks will be dominant pied & if Punky is split for blue you will get light green, dark green, cobalt, sky blue, violet & yellow face. You are unlikely to get many crested chicks

Jellybean & Easter
Jellybean is not a clearwing. He is probably a clearflight pied but can’t be sure without a front view. If Easter is a true rainbow she is a yellow face clearwing opaline blue
Most of the chicks will be crested. Half should inherit the pied. About 75% will be yellow face. You will only get clearwing & opaline if the **** bird has genes for these mutations

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OH THANK YOU!!!! So very, very much! This is Wonderful! I truly appreciate All of the help you've given me here!!! Yes, you're absolutely right Jellybean is a clearflight pied, I mislabeled him. This is great! So far 4 chicks have hatched of Easter and Jellybean, Guacamole is actually fostering them b/c she abandoned the nest. The oldest two are getting their feathers in a little more each day. I'll be sure to give you an update. Two are the size of walnuts now! Again, thanks so much...karma coming your way!!

~Stacia

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol...they're getting there, the two mommies let me hold four of their chicks the other day and preened my fingers (admittedly in a nervous fashion) upon their safe return...I will post pics soon. Probably on Facebook....feel free to friend me (look up Stacia Stacia)

Thanks,
~S

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.