Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Budgie in My neighborhood under a truck. I caught him, but unfortunately the only place I have to put him is in a cage with 2 already paired buddies. Do I need to buy another Budgie to be the new ones friend? Or is it OK for them to be and even?

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
It would be best to have a separate cage for the found bird, you don't know if he is ill or carrying mites or something else and by putting him in right away with the other birds you are risking the health of your current birds. When bringing in a new bird it should be quarantined from any current bird for 30 days, I know the finding of this bird was not planned but quarantine should still apply. Are you able to get another cage?

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

You've been given great advice above by Cody and I agree with her completely! Thanks for rescuing this budgie, despite the sudden situation. Getting a separate cage right away is the best option because even though they've already been exposed to each other the new bird would feel less stressed in his own space for right now.

Additionally, you've come to a great place to stay updated on the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to read through the forums' many budgie articles and "stickies"! If you have any questions after doing so, feel free to ask as we'd love to help!

Hope to stay updated on how things go!

Cheers 👋

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Thank you for taking in the little budgie.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being.

Quarantining the budgie you've rescued is very important.
Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.
Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks. The budgie that was found was outdoors and may well be ill or have mites, as Cody indicated.
Often you will not even realize a bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds

We always recommend all members have an extra cage for use as a hospital/transport/quarantine cage. Many times budgies will need to be separated and it's important to be prepared.

It would be best not to try to house a third bird with budgies you already have even after quarantine.

Differences and Dynamics in Flocks
Your Harmonious Flock

If the "pair" you have currently are mixed gender, you need to be doing everything necessary to prevent breeding.
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

I would not recommend getting a 4th budgie at this point in time.

How large is the cage in which you are housing the original two budgies? Length/Width/Height
What are their genders?
What is the gender of the rescued bird?

If the plan turn out to be to house the rescued bird alone and/or to get a same gender friend for him/her sometime in the future, you need to ensure you have an adequate size cage.
The very minimum I would recommend for one or two budgies is 30"long x 18" wide x 18" high. Bar spacing must be no more than 1/2" between the bars.

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES

List of Stickies

Posting on the Forums

Let's Talk Budgies!

FAQ

Articles

Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense

Avian First Aid

Cage sizes.

Essentials to a Great Cage

Dangers to Pet Birds

Resource Directory