Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A long time ago, I asked about Frankie and the mutation, and I cannot remember what she is. I think recessive pied or something like that. Anyway, I think it's a girl, but her cere is still light purple with some white around the nostrils( depending on the light), even after the molt. What is her cere supposed to be like at this point ( I think she is older than six months now for sure) considerting her mutation?
Here is the most recent picture:
Also, what is really confusing me is that she is a really good singer and bobs her head a lot, lol. So, I am confused....

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi I'm not really an expert but i would say that she is a he because in the pic the cere looks more pink than brown.

But I could b completely wrong but im sure someone will be along who would know for sure
Craig

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm not much help, but to me from this picture Frankie looks like a boy. I don't know much about mutations, but I do know that every bird is different. My boy Charlie is well past 6 months and his cere (although I've been told it will or could turn blue) is still a dark pink with some purple coloration in it. While my female, Orion, who is probably about a year old by now, has a cere that is still white with light blue near the edges.

I'd say your best bet is analyzing her behavior. I see you have 3 other budgies, so maybe compare her to them. Both my birds are excellent singers, but my male will sing constantly and my female will only sing when she's settling in for a nap. A good singer doesn't necessarily mean a boy. And head bobbing means your bird is happy, no matter the gender :)

I'm sure one of our mutation experts will be along to add their advice, and they know better then I do!

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:eek:
I have been calling Frankie "my girl" forever now!!
The reason I thought it was a female was a bit of that white around the nostrils and the fact that Frankie is the bossiest of all.
I guess I was wrong...

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Looks male to me Normally by 5-6 months old Females have at least a pure chalky white cere most are a light tan by that age though.

White around the nostrils really doesn't mean anything I have many who had it and by that would be females- they're all male - Actually Tweety was one of those who had white around the nostrils and a lot of it! but he's 100% Male :D

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Kelli. I kind of suspected it was a male after all judging by some male - type of behavior. And they all get along suspiciously great:D
Oh well, I was hoping for at least one girl...

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Thanks Kelli. I kind of suspected it was a male after all judging by some male - type of behavior. And they all get along suspiciously great:D
Oh well, I was hoping for at least one girl...
lol you wouldn't want 1 girl and 3 boys any way - Then you boys would fight over your girl ;)

i'm actually have the opposite problem with my cockatiels out of no where last night the lone male in the cage of 4 females(one being his mate) decided he just wasn't going to be nice to the 2 younger girls - and after I fed them he started running them off the food dishes - They've all been together for over a week before I put him and his mate in it was just 3 girls All got along great (I never have too much trouble of female tiels not getting alone like i do with the budgies) there is 5 dishes of food so no real reason to run them off other than he was just being a but head But after Threatening him a couple times of a complete time out in a cage all of his own where he could only look at his woman from across the room He calmed back down For now any way! lol but it wasn't like him - he's a hand fed baby of mine from 2-3 years ago and has always been nice to the other birds- so not sure why he started picking on the younger 2 they weren't even bothering him they'd be at a food dish at the other end of the cage he'd be on a different one and see them on one and Go after them - it was crazy to say the least

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL! Estrogen overload:D
He is overwhelmed with all the women!
I am planning to get Candy a friend after Christmas - so in your opinion would another female be a good match with her? I don't want babies:D

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I've never had a problem with 2 female tiels living together :) actually our very 1st two tiels i got for my kids were girls my son's is Nibbles, my Daughter had normal white face named baby - They got along Great and if one couldn't see the other they'd contact call for each other.

The only time I've had a problem is with Nibbles- she's more timid than most tiels are.. (she's also 100% tame ) she prefers to be in a cage either by her self or just with 1 other tiel preferably one similar to her - laid back, not "hyper" Well I had her doing great in a cage with 3 others every one got along and they left her alone(which is how she likes it) then I put in 4 babies who'd been weaned fully for about a month- well babies are hyper and she didnt like it and they knew it and kept chasing her around picking on her and she just couldn't handle it. So I had to put her in a cage of her own - in those situations she goes in my sons room so he can spend their quality time together even though she's a breeder she's still a pet and she loves him to death and gets excited to see him :)

but I've had male and females together with a nest box and they would never do anything! no matter how hard the male tried the female wanted nothing to do with him lol

so When it comes to getting another tiel I suggest trying to get one with a personality like the one you already have - or at least as close as possible.. You wouldn't want one laid back female and one bossy female - they may not get along too well like that :)

but it's just more if they hit it off and like each other then your good to go

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips - it makes sense to match personalities, though you can never tell for sure... I am going to be looking for a girl tiel then. I will keep you posted:)

·
Registered
850 Posts
I would say male, not because of the colour but the condition of the cere. Hens go a little crusty and roung and males stay nice and smooth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.