Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chiribiri has now been with me for over a month. He has yet to settle in, and I'm continuing to be patient. However, some of his behavior is very discouraging.
He tries to get out of the cage pretty much all day, attempting to squeeze through the bars, jumping between perch and cage bars. This is paired with constant, distressed chirp calling. It gets worse if I put him by a sunny window or outside - it's totally frantic behavior, his entire body quivers. After 10 minutes of this non stop, I have to take him back in, that can't be good. Sometimes he calms down a bit, and, if the day is overcast, he's considerably quieter and less frantic. I've tried draping a light cloth on top and back of the cage, turning the cage around different directions (he only eats if the food bowl is facing whatever direction is "front"), changing/adding food, giving him some millet, etc. Sometimes these actions calm him down for a few minutes. He calms down more if I move him to a darker area of the house, away from anything but a boring wall.

He changes completely once I let him out in the "safe room" for a few hours - preens, naps, eats, drinks, flaps around. There are no windows, and it's lit up with a LED bulb. I just put in a boing swing for him, but he's avoided it so far. He squawked in anger the other day when the music player stopped, pretty cute.

I hope time and a larger cage will help him feel more comfortable and reduce this behavior. I just called A&E and they are expecting a limited quantity of the 13221 early December.. ugh, so now I'm leaning towards getting the prevue f040 as it would be here sooner rather than later. Not sure how I'm going to carry that cage between upstairs and downstairs though, but somehow, I guess I'll manage.

Meantime, any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
4,394 Posts
Sounds like he is a bird that just does not want to be caged. One of my birds is frantic to get out of his cage, in the morning as soon as I uncover the cages he is bouncing up and down to get out and making it known vocally as well, as soon as I Iet him out all is well. He will go in and out of his cage and others during the day but it is difficult to get him in his own cage when I want him in. I have 5 F040's and an A&E double fight cage so it's not as if he is in a small cage.o_O

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! That's a lot of space for the birds haha! I'm sort of inferring here that the larger cage won't solve the constant chirps, ugh. But at least he'll have room. Neighbors must think I'm torturing the poor guy (I was out in the garden and could hear him through the walls).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not going to happen anytime soon. First, need to make sure he's healthy, he's got 3g weight to gain and 4 more weeks of antibiotics. Then I want to regain his trust which could be months. If that's going well, I can consider a buddy.. but that means another 30-45 days quarantine, and I don't really have a place to quarantine a second bird. And as amazing as it would be to get a hand-raised nugget, I would likely try to get a shelter rescue.

Besides, I'm supposed to be his buddy! :p

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Mcage flight cage has been assembled today (following a replacement side panel). I managed to get his cage door aligned with the Mcage, and he was in the new mansion within 20 seconds... very confused, a little frightened. After the initial shock, he resumed his distress chirp calling paired with clinging to the cage sides looking for a way out :(
Sunlight seems to be the biggest trigger here. The other day was overcast and he was quiet and didn't really do much other than eat, occasionally chirp, and preen.

That said.. I did not realize the cage had no handles, so, the idea of walking this cage downstairs now needs to be rethought. I'm not sure how to transfer him downstairs for free-flight/playtime now :/

Maybe fabricate some handles? I thought about trying to find a way to lure him to the old cage, but I think that will take quit some time to train, not to mention the complexities of aligning the cage doors (Mcage door is taller than his old cage...!). Meantime... I certainly don't want to grab him to take him down. Playtime over? :(

·
Administrator
57,347 Posts
One option would be to buy short rope perches and attach them to the outside of the MCage. Top or sides, wherever you need the handles.
That would probably be the easiest "fix".

There is no way you can carry an F040 up and down stairs. I have those and the F050s and it takes two people and is still very difficult to maneuver them.

To alleviate his distress, can you give him more out-of-cage time in the bird safe room or is that not possible with your schedule at this time?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, rope perches are interesting, those could be attached from under the thick horizontal bars running across the middle to keep from warping the cage, and I have larger stainless fender washers to displace the pressure point. Another thought for quick fix would be to cut up the broken panel and slide that through to carry the cage. Yes, I can give him a lot more out of cage time, and if I'm doing that then I think I'll have to install some perches there as right now he sits on the thin ceramic dishes or flat surface. Trying to get him used to the rope ring swing, that will take time. There's still the problem of getting him downstairs to that room while in the big cage.

Additionally, it's a lot harder to catch him for meds in this big cage, he almost got out both times so far. I'm somewhat tempted to keep him in the small cage 2.5 more weeks to wrap up the antibiotics for his safety.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay. It's also easier to cover him up at night and move him to a quiet room to get better sleep. I'll give him more free cage time - at the moment, it's averaging 4 hours per day. Once these meds are over, I think converting the small cage to a sleep cage will be good, too - that way, I can put him in a quiet room for when I can't sleep.

·
Administrator
57,347 Posts
Before we moved to FL from VA, I used to have all of my bird's cages in my 9x12 bedroom. At the time, was two F040's and two F050's.

I would put my budgies and lovebirds to bed at night and I often stayed up in the same room with them for several hours after that.
I would be moving around, watching TV in the same room, etc. It never bothered any of them at all.
They knew when their cages were/are covered. They are supposed to be "in bed" or, in their case, on their sleeping swings. LOL

I'm not sure you will need to use the small cage as a sleeping cage -- you'll just need to see how he reacts to being in the large cage in the same room with you up when you can't sleep.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's helpful to know, thank you! I'll work on finding a larger cover, the one I have is inadequate. A google search showed an interesting solution, making a sort of shower-curtain surround, but it was long ago and the pictures were NLA.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts

·
Administrator
57,347 Posts
This one does a pretty good job for the cage ;)

Prevue Hendryx Pet Products Good Night Bird Cage Cover, Large, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQ5Z...abc_HY2KYCTTRAYSG0867KYB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I use the large Prevue Hendryx cage covers on my F040 and F050 flight cages.
There is also a medium sized cover made by Prevue Hendryx (which I also have for a smaller cage) that would probably work well on a MCage flight cage.
However, if the McCage is a Double Flight then I'd have to check the dimensions to see which would be best.

I've also found that very tightly woven fabric black curtains or tablecloths work well as cage covers depending on the size cage.
I only cover the top, three sides and 1/3 of the way down the cage no matter what size cage is being used.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi, these are great, thank you!
For reference, the MCage flight cage exterior without stand is roughly 32x20x37. There are plenty of ready-made covers, and I've got a couple weeks to figure out which ones since I'm going to stick with the small cage through the course of the meds. While trying to lure him into the small cage this afternoon, he did get free. That was a fun 30 minutes trying to capture him in bright daylight (I did best I could not to chase him, but I haven't fully bird-proofed yet so I did panic a little). All safe and sound now.

"McCage" is funny on so many levels hahaha 😁

1 - 20 of 20 Posts