Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
As you know I keep finches a budgie and a lovebird. Since I started keeping birds I have been using this method to give them greens in an appealing way. So, I get a used toilet roll made of normal card board and cut it into a ring about 10cm in height and go out into my larger birdcage with the finches and get a handful of the planted seed I have growing. I put a bunch in the toilet roll, cut two holes in the side and attach to the cage wire with a cable tie.
All my birds find it super appealing, Charlie get on top of it and eats it while whistling about, my lovebird Cassie eats the seeds poking out at the bottom and the finches eat all of it.
So it's just a plain toilet roll holder which has no leftover paper on it, growing parrot or finch seed mix which is then put into the toilet roll holder.
Obviously you could put a huge variety of fresh leafy foods in this, so experiment and see if your birds love it as much as mine do :)
Easy and effective.
Here's a picture of Charlie and Cassie with theirs

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
What an excellent idea. I have moved your thread over to this Area ,Diet and Nutrition. This can actually fit a couple of categories, it is a fun way for your birds to get the great fresh greens well done. Thanks for sharing and the pictures of Charlie and Cassie are wonderful.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Hi everyone,
As you know I keep finches a budgie and a lovebird. Since I started keeping birds I have been using this method to give them greens in an appealing way. So, I get a used toilet roll made of normal card board and cut it into a ring about 10cm in height and go out into my larger birdcage with the finches and get a handful of the planted seed I have growing. I put a bunch in the toilet roll, cut two holes in the side and attach to the cage wire with a cable tie.
All my birds find it super appealing, Charlie get on top of it and eats it while whistling about, my lovebird Cassie eats the seeds poking out at the bottom and the finches eat all of it.
So it's just a plain toilet roll holder which has no leftover paper on it, growing parrot or finch seed mix which is then put into the toilet roll holder.
Obviously you could put a huge variety of fresh leafy foods in this, so experiment and see if your birds love it as much as mine do :)
Easy and effective.
Here's a picture of Charlie and Cassie with theirs

Very creative. I love it. I recently saw another great idea where I person used a bell pepper on a skewer and stuff it with veggies and snacks. I love when people get creative with their birds.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wow, that is a brilliant idea. I'm going to try that myself. Thanks for the great tip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.