Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one of the other threads I read that a full bodied greywing is a cross between a greywing and a clearwing.
I paired a YF(?) Violet (full bodied?) greywing (hen) with a YF2 cobalt. One of the babies (a ****) ]looks just like the mother. Does that mean that the **** is /clearwing?
Here are some photo's.

Attachments

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The **** must be split for either greywing or clearwing. The chick could have inherited either gene from the mother

Your hen looks like a YF1

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i agree with nev...

of course if they were in a colony setting one of the other cocks could be the dad of that chick.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At that time he was the only **** in the aviary - so I'm certain of this one.
Are you saying that the hen is carrying the clearwing gene as well - even if she's a greywing? How can you tell?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
that is what a fullbodied greywing is, a bird with one greywing gene and one clearwing gene. if the chick is also a fb greywing it could have received either greywing or clearwing from the mum and the other from the dad...

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you saying that the hen is carrying the clearwing gene as well - even if she's a greywing? How can you tell?[/QUOTE]
SORRY!! very stupid question.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
a greywing has body colour, wing markings and cheekpatches diluted by about 50%. a clearwing has much more diluted wing markings but normal strength body colour and cheek patches.

a bird that has one greywing and one clearwing gene (these are two mutations of the same gene) have greywing type wing markings but full strength body colour etc. they are called full bodied greywings.

your hen seems to have these traits so could be a fb greywing, so woudl have one greywing and one clearwing gene, rather than two greywing genes. if you think her body colour is diluted then she is probably a greywing rather than a fb greywing.

which do you think she is?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Her body colour is for certain not diluted. She's a fb greywing and a YF. Here are some pictures.
Someone else said another thread that you're amazing and I must agree. Where do you get your information and how do you remember everything?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
she is lovely, and certainly looks like a fb greywing. so do you understand about the greywing and clearwing combination now? or have i managed to make it more confusing!!!

i just find it easier to absorb info on things i am fascinated by, however if i try to learn about something that does not inspire me i find it a hard slog...

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You made it very clear, thanks. I'm also fascinated with genetics, but there's just too much for me to grab at the same time.
Just one more thing: Nev said that the hen is a YF1 (I agree) and the **** is a YF2 as you can see in the first picture I've posted in this thread (By now you know the bird very well). The baby (a ****) looks precisely like the hen. Is he /YF2?
It is also strange that there's no pieds from this pair. (You will remember the clearflight pieds that we are not sure about and we think that this cobalt **** is the father of them.)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
as far as the yf goes, with one of each for parents the bird could be yf1, yf2 or have one of each type of genes. i do not know enough about how the yfs interact to know which would be visible, or if they combine to make an intermediate if the chick has both...

how many chicks did this pair have? if the cobalt is indeed a pied he could be sf and so only pass the pied gene onto half his chicks...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.