Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hmmm, how strange. I really want to know the answer of this now.

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
The chick is a pied :) And if neither parent is visually a pied (or a albino/lutino, DEC or DF spangle where it would be masked) then the chick is a recessive pied.

Can you post some pictures of the parents? That will help us tell you what else the chick might be :)

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Here's Vanessa's the link to the parents: http://instagr.am/p/Ry5ZzjjVCf/ .

Mother hen is dominant pied sky blue. Father's color is yellow face 1 sky blue or cobalt; he looks violet, too. I can't tell father's mutation; we need to see his whole body from head to tail. Is his body color solid blue or does he have a band of white feathers across his belly? Are his flight feathers and tail feathers black or clear (white)?

I speculate that father is dominant pied because the chick appears to be double factor dominant pied.

Lindsey, what do you think?

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
My initial thought was that the chick was a DF dominant pied when I saw it because it has so few markings, but I had assumed that if the chick did not look like the parents that they must not be pieds themselves, and that the chick would be recessive. It could be a combination or a DF dominant :)

Can you post some pictures of both parents from the front by chance? They have markings that are common for both clearflight and dominant pied and could be either one from the looks of them, although dominant is likely from the looks of the chick :)

The chick has a lot of yellow spreading, so I would not think it is a sf yellowface I. Since the father does not have very much yellow spreading himself I would have to guess that he is a DF yellowface II or Df goldenface... again more clear pics of him would help :) Were there any other chicks in this clutch that were not yellowface?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PHP:
http://instagram.com/p/R6RqWHDVCk/
Here is the parents. It seems in the past few days the baby has grown more feathers with blue spots in random places. So I know it wont be full yellow now. And yea all of the babies are yellow faced like their father's. We have a baby named black beak. With the a black beak hence the name.. so he is very dark and he has a tiny black tongue:) then we have two that are both sky blues but at different shades but they aren't quite a cobalt or muave color so I suspect they r sky blue. Then there's the youngest which doesn't have much of any feathers to tell its color excpet it a yellow face. All in all we have 5

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
PHP:
http://instagram.com/p/R6RqWHDVCk/
Here is the parents. It seems in the past few days the baby has grown more feathers with blue spots in random places. So I know it wont be full yellow now. And yea all of the babies are yellow faced like their father's. We have a baby named black beak. With the a black beak hence the name.. so he is very dark and he has a tiny black tongue:) then we have two that are both sky blues but at different shades but they aren't quite a cobalt or muave color so I suspect they r sky blue. Then there's the youngest which doesn't have much of any feathers to tell its color excpet it a yellow face. All in all we have 5
I think the male is a yellow face (type 1?) clearflight pied cobalt. If so, the chick in your picture is either yellow face dominant pied sky blue or cobalt, or yellow face clearflight pied sky blue or cobalt. What do you think, Lindsey?

All the chicks will be either sky blue or cobalt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.