Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello TB!

I haven't been on here in forever! But my bf and I just got 2 new budgies! :D

We were wondering if you guys could help us determine their gender and their mutations. I think the blue one is a female - because of the brown crusty cere, and I think the yellow one is a male - because it looks like a recessive pied? But I'm not sure! :S:p The couple we bought them from said the yellow is a female and the blue is a male, but I've learned from experience that you can't trust anyone but the people on TB! :p

And I was also wondering if they look healthy or sick? Because they're currently on a seed diet... which I know isn't good. I'm going to try to transition them to a more healthy diet like pellets, so we'll see how that goes.

So thanks in advanced! :D:)

Here are the pictures:

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Both are hens :)
The yellow one is a recessive pied and the other one is a skyblue opaline greywing I believe.
They look good from the pictures. But if your main concern is about the effects of an all seed diet, then it is probably the internal organs that would be affected :)
Great job for improving their diet and lifestyle :thumbsup:

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The blue bird is an opaline clearwing sky blue female. The bright cheek patches show that her mutation is clearwing not greywing

The yellow bird is a recessive pied light green. I can't tell if the cere is pink or brown. If it is pink you have a male if it is brown you have a female.

The birds look very healthy

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Teasha and Zeena! :D

Nev90: I don't exactly remember if it is pink or brown... I will have to double check tomorrow morning because right now they are sleeping. I'll try to get a better picture of it to show you. But I think it's like a pinkish-brown? Lol what if that's the case??

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
don't panic!! it was just a suggestion based on the little crusty bits around the cere... but it could just be the photo... or it could be the roughness of a hens cere....

take a good look and see if the cere and beak edges have little flakey bits like in the photo above. if so then it may need to be treated for mites. it is nothing to panic about and is easy enough to get rid of with the right treatment. it is best to get advice from a vet the first time then you know for sure what to do if you come across it again.

If you do not think that it is mites then just keep an eye on it, mites will cause more flakyness and it will spread to the feet and around the eyes, which obviously can be dangerous.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.