Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Personally I think it's a young hen because of the with around the nostrils, recesiv pied but I'm not to good with mutations^^ Did charyl clamour when he was caught for bringin him home?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally I think it's a young hen because of the with around the nostrils, recesiv pied but I'm not to good with mutations^^ Did charyl clamour when he was caught for bringin him home?
I think he/she did for a bit, then remained silent..why??
a hen..wow.. I was told it was a male...thanks so much for telling me your opinion! karma for you

·
Registered
882 Posts
It's a hen and males bite too. Ginrei got me good a few weeks back when I was moving him to the new flight cage. He decided he didn't want to come out of his cage at that time. As for color I would guess a cinnamon white based budgie but I'm not sure what combination of mutations would result in that many clear(white) feathers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Haha that's just something I noticed with my hens most of them scream bloody murder when caught males usually are silent. Cinnamon could be true and rececive pied would explain the clear feathers.
Thy for the karma^^
I have the same nailpolish btw.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Thats weird because I'd say it was a male, especially from the last photo. He has a purpley-blue cere. Why are others saying female?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thats weird because I'd say it was a male, especially from the last photo. He has a purpley-blue cere. Why are others saying female?
Females can look like that when young, notice the with around the nostrils? Males don't have that. Young male ceres when the bars still go all the way down usually are pink and not yet blue.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
What a pretty little girl! :D
All birds bite both males and females. I'm really bad with mutations so i can't help you with that sorry :eek:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I say definitely female! Honestly, I'm really bad at mutations, but here is my guess anyway. Rec pied opaline cinnamon sky blue. Too much white on the cere for a male.

·
Member of the Month
16,198 Posts
could we have some photos in natural light? :) i see more of light blue around the nostril
please be careful about what you allow him to play with, them pegs won't be made of stainless steel, vegetable dye & safe wood
all birds can bite, regardless of sex

·
Registered
972 Posts
Deffinitely young, and leading towards a hen - but was there a flash on your camera? Because if the flash went off than it could be a male (a flash causes a reflection on the cere and makes it look like a female) Is there white around the nares? If so than a hen for sure :)

as for mutation - all I could identify is an albino :p I'm sure someone with more experience will be around to help you out :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
I can't see any white around the nostrils. I have males and females so I know what a hen's cere looks like. Hmm I repeat the question did you use a flash?

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
From those pictures it looks like a hen to me.

Both cocks and hens will bite, I have hens that are lovely to handle and also **** birds that draw blood, it all depends on the bird.

But a picture in natural light will help us be sure.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
thsioe pic definitely show a hen, but they do look like a flash has been used so they may be deceiving... the pale rings around the light blue is a hen sign. young male rec pieds have
especially pinky/purpley ceres.

appears to be a rec pied skyblue, maybe a cinnamon or greywing as the markings do look ligther than black.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Cinnamon recessive pied sky blue hen (it could be the photo flash that makes it look like a hen) Males and females can both bite if you don't hold them correctly

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the answers. I'll upload a picture with natural light as soon as I can. I was told that he was a recessive pied male.

if it's a hen, will I notice his cere changing when she is in breeding condition? will it get rough or pinker or something??

And if it was a male...will its cere change to dark blue or something?

karma for you all!

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
thanks for the answers. I'll upload a picture with natural light as soon as I can. I was told that he was a recessive pied male.

if it's a hen, will I notice his cere changing when she is in breeding condition? will it get rough or pinker or something??

And if it was a male...will its cere change to dark blue or something?

karma for you all!
If it is a Hen you will notice the Cere going a brown colour and it may get crusty looking. However if it is a **** the Cere will go a very deep pinky/ purple colour and remain smooth.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.