Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have been told by pet shop owner that i have one male and one female budgie but i am not so sure about it. Can someone please help me determine it?
Ps: I have watched countless youtube videos for it but i am still confused.

·
Super Moderator
18,458 Posts
The budgie looking right at the camera (the budgie on the right) is definitely a female!

However, the other budgie's cere is not in focus enough for me to adequately see the color. It does appear faintly purple; if the cere is violet or lavender with a clear shine and no hint of white, he is male. Could you post another photo of that budgie?

They're very cute :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The budgie looking right at the camera (the budgie on the right) is definitely a female!

However, the other budgie's cere is not in focus enough for me to adequately see the color. It does appear faintly purple; if the cere is violet or lavender with a clear shine and no hint of white, he is male. Could you post another photo of that budgie?

They're very cute :)
budgie no 1 looking at the camera

Budgie no 2

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
StarlingWings will give you an answer on the budgie's gender when she is back on-line.

I recommend you remove the wooden dowel-type perches in the cage and replace it with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.

Pressure Sores
The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:
Essentials for a Great Cage

You need to trim the "fringe" holding the ladder to the perch down to no more than 1/2"
Dangers of Rope, Snuggle Huts, Fabric and Tasseled Toys

How big is the cage in which you are housing the budgies?

Minimum size for two budgies would be 76 cm Long x 46 cm Wide x 46 cm High

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thayts not a dowel perch. Its natutal hibiscus tree perch. That was the first thing i did when i got the cage. The cage size is 30 inch to 18 inch to 18 inch.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's so nice seeing those two after all this time. I remember when you were having trouble getting them back into the cage. They're so cute!

·
Super Moderator
18,458 Posts
Hi Tanya! Your birds are adorable :)

At first glance, it does look like a dowel perch, but I can see now that it is a natural tree perch. Looks good :D You should definitely be careful of the fringe toy, however, and cut it down as FaeryBee suggested.

To be honest, it is a little bit of a tricky cere to tell for the first budgie (the one in the second photo is definitely a female). I see why the store employee could have thought male, but I do think the color looks very much like it could turn out to be female. I can see s/he is going through the first moult right now, and it'll be a bit easier to tell for sure in a few weeks. If you posted an updated photo then, I'd be able to confirm for sure! But for now I think you have two girls :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's so nice seeing those two after all this time. I remember when you were having trouble getting them back into the cage. They're so cute!
They are cute and naughty. The amazing thing about them is that they are my shadow selfs. They get affected by my energy so even when i am feeling down i have to pretend to be happy around them and that ultimately lifts my mood. I love them so much.

Hi Tanya! Your birds are adorable :)

At first glance, it does look like a dowel perch, but I can see now that it is a natural tree perch. Looks good :D You should definitely be careful of the fringe toy, however, and cut it down as FaeryBee suggested.

To be honest, it is a little bit of a tricky cere to tell for the first budgie (the one in the second photo is definitely a female). I see why the store employee could have thought male, but I do think the color looks very much like it could turn out to be female. I can see s/he is going through the first moult right now, and it'll be a bit easier to tell for sure in a few weeks. If you posted an updated photo then, I'd be able to confirm for sure! But for now I think you have two girls :D
Awww... i have two daughters. Thats awesome but still i will post an updated photo after a few weeks. She is the sweetest thing ever and if you anger her for some reason she isnt afraid to show it.
Ps: I know I am ranting like a proud mamma but I just cant help it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.