Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so happy....My flock of 20 has lost two senior members and now has a clutch of (as of today) TWO new eggs! Mom and Dad are feeding great! I presume that the clutch will enlarge and that they're fertile. I have not disturbed the nest box and haven't plans to do so, unless necessary. Both parents are crested sea foam, clear flight spangles with a yellow face. I'm curious what the babies will look like. My double dark white face double violet factor cobalt male is pairing up with an albino female of unknown genetics, so we shall see on that too....I'd love to hear any feedback!!!

~S

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm sorry for the loss of your eldest budgies. Any loss of a pet is heart breaking. As for the birds you are breeding. They all sound like beautiful birds. But I wouldn't breed two cresteds together. I have never bred any but I have heard that breeding two together can lead to birth defects and death. From what I can understand I think the chicks feathers can grow inward towards the skull and create irreversible infections. If you want to breed cresteds I would breed them with a normal feathered budgies. Pairing up a cobalt df violet df dark factor with an albino female would produce blue single factor violets. None of the chicks would be albino but the male chicks will carry the genes. You will probably have more of a mix because of the unknown genes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so very much for the info...I'm quite frightened regarding the pairing of two crested parents b/c I now have three eggs. We shall see, I cannot count my chicks before they hatch. I have such a varied/rare/misfit flock that any chicks that come out with disabilities will be loved and well cared for regardless. I hope not to perpetuate that line, however. A burden I will bare if the chicks come out with issues. Poor babies.

I did check out your site and I relish any advice you may be able to provide as your bugs are gorgeous!!

Many thanks and many extra, extra eyes are on the new brood....

~S

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Thank you very much. Like I said I have never bred cresteds before so hopefully I'm wrong. They all sound like beautiful birds I would love to see photos. If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask. Good luck

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the parents? I don't think many people here have crested budgies!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have never heard of a crested budgie. Time to Bing it (yes, I don't like Google).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I would LOVE to post pics of my whole flock....Each time I upload (which takes a while) I receive an error from this site. I presume the file is too large. However, even when I shrink it down, I still receive the same error. I got frustrated and gave up. Okay, I'll give it another shot tonight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have any pictures of the parents? I don't think many people here have crested budgies!
I've posted some pics in my gallery on my profile:

http://talkbudgies.com/photoplog/index.php?u=9274

Here are a few others (not the best pics...but they're what I have so far):

Punky (crested dom. Pied):

Crested dom. Pied yf tufted clearwing 'Jellybean':

Crested, True rainbow (Easter):

Boo berry (you can't tell from this angle as he has a ½ crest on the OTHER side of his head):

Additionally, if I've mis-catagorized any genetic variations, please feel free to click on my gallery on my profile and tell me what mutation you believe them to be.

Many thanks,
~Stacia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.