Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, trust me when I say, I really have been trying to figure out the genetic mutations, but there are just so many lol. So I was hoping one of you nice genetic experts could help me figure out: 1: what the mutations are called of my two lovelies, and 2: possibilities for offspring? I appreciate any input you have! Wishing and hoping for a rainbow budgie baby but I'm almost certain I do not have the right mutations in the parents for that to happen.

:budgie: :budge:

Attachments

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,824 Posts
The hen looks to be a Opaline Cinnamon Grey Green and the **** bird an Opaline Greywing Sky Blue.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It looks to me like you have an opaline grey wing light green hen and a sky blue grey wing ****. The color mutation for a rainbow is clearwing opaline yellow face type two blue series. You wont get any rainbow chicks I'm sorry.

Your birds will produce
100%grey wing
100% light green unless you hen is carrying blue, then you will get some skyblues some lightgreens.
0% chicks will show opaline but the male chicks will carry it.
And is you birds are carrying any other genes they might show up.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The hen is an opaline greywing grey green, The colour of the cheek patches show that she is grey green and not just green. Her wing markings look brownish like a cinnamon but cinnamons usually have blue tail feathers

The **** is a greywing sky blue (not old enough to breed)

If the hen is not split for blue and the **** in not split for opaline you would get:
50% greywing green & 50% greywing grey green

If the hen is split for blue you could expect
25% each of greywing blue, greywing grey, greywing green & greywing grey green

The opaline will only show in the chicks if the **** bird is split for opaline but all the males will be split for opaline

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet, thanks everyone :) And no worries, not going to be breeding them yet, have to wait for the little man to grow up some more :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.