Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are the first 5 questions in a genetic quiz. See how many questions you can answer. I will post the answers and another set of questions in a few days. When you have answered I will PM the answers to you. It doesn't matter if you answer "Don't know" to some of the questions. It is not a competition, just a bit of fun

1/ If a pair of normal budgies produced an albino chick which parent did the albino gene come from?

2/ If a lutino hen was mated to a blue ****: What colour would the chicks be if neither bird was split for anything?

3/ Can 2 normal birds produce a spangle chick?

4/ Is it possible for the mother of a lutino **** to be a normal?

5/ If 2 dominant pieds were mated together would any of the chicks be normals?

·
Registered
964 Posts
great idea Nev, love it... i would answer but i think i may give away too much for the other participants :p .... maybe we should make this a regular thing? great that so many people are interested in genetics these days!

have a go guys!!!

almost spot on Rachelle83

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
1 - Male cause its X-chromosone
2 - Blue I think
3 - No I think. I think you have to have at least one spangle
4 - Yes it is possibe
5 - No I think

I dont know about any of these answers as I'm just beginning to study genetics, but I can't wait to see how well (or not so well) i did:)

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Great thread Nev!:D I don't know a lot , but I'll give it a shot.

1/ If a pair of normal budgies produced an albino chick which parent did the albino gene come from?
Male

2/ If a lutino hen was mated to a blue ****: What colour would the chicks be if neither bird was split for anything?
Blue

I don't think so.

not sure on this one, maybe if she was split?

Not sure.

This is fun and a great way for us to learn more about mutations.:) I look forward to the correct answers as well as the next set of questions.

·
Registered
944 Posts
OK, i seriously have hardly any idea, I've researched a little bit on this before.. here goes

I think females can't split for albino... so I'm going to say male, also from experience this make sense.

Umm... I'm going to assume blue is dominate over the Lutino, blue?
Because when Sunny (my lutino hen) had a clutch with one of my blue males, the chicks were all blue.

No idea

No idea

No idea

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
1/ If a pair of normal budgies produced an albino chick which parent did the albino gene come from? Male would be split for Albino Since Females can't be split to it because its a sex linked gene

2/ If a lutino hen was mated to a blue ****: What colour would the chicks be if neither bird was split for anything? Yellow Base is Dominate and Blue base is recessive so i want to say Lutino females, along with some blue , any male (blue) would be split for Lutino

3/ Can 2 normal birds produce a spangle chick? Yes if one is split to spangle - Not even sure if thats possiable lol

4/ Is it possible for the mother of a lutino **** to be a normal? no Lutino is sex linked and the mother would have to be visual to get males

5/ If 2 dominant pieds were mated together would any of the chicks be normals? Yes You'd get some pieds and some normals and some double factor Dominant pieds - not 100% sure on that answer lol

·
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody else like to try this before I post the answers and a new set of questions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll have a go
Male

Lutino females, blue males?

Spangle is dominate? No?

No

Mabey if they were split? If they can be.. Unsure

·
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Answers To Set One Questions​

The male. Albino is a sex linked mutation so only males can carry it in a split or hidden form

They would all be green. The males would be split for ino
No. Spangle is a dominant mutation so it can not be carried in a split (or hidden) form

No. The ino gene must come from both parents to produce a male ino chick and as females can't carry a sex linked gene in a split form she must be an ino
Yes. About 25% would be normals, 50% would be dominant pied and 25% would be double factor dominant pied

·
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New Questions - Set Two​

6/ Can a sky blue parent produce a mauve chick?

7/ If an albino **** was mated to a lutino hen would any of the chicks be normals?

8/ If neither bird was split for anything; What mutation would the chicks be if a recessive pied **** was mated to a cinnamon hen?

9/ Can 2 normal birds produce a greywing chick?

10/ A sky blue **** mated to a grey hen produced 2 cobalt and 2 grey chicks. Can you explain where the cobalt came from?

11/ Would the any of the chicks resulting from mating a cinnamon hen to a normal **** that was not split for anything be cinnamon?

12/ What mutation would the chicks be if a recessive pied was mated to a double factor spangle that was not split for anything?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
ahh a Bit tougher :D

6/ Can a sky blue parent produce a mauve chick? Yes, if there are 2 Dark factors, Since 2 Dark Factors in a white based budgie makes mauve

7/ If an albino **** was mated to a lutino hen would any of the chicks be normals? Yes

8/ If neither bird was split for anything; What mutation would the chicks be if a recessive pied **** was mated to a cinnamon hen? Cinnamon is a sex linked gene, So only females would be visual Cinnamon, so I'm going to say 1/2 the chicks would be Recessive, 1/2 would be the base color of the hen and some females (if not all) would also be cinnamon

9/ Can 2 normal birds produce a greywing chick? no because it is a recessive gene one or both parents have to carry the grey wing gene to get grey wing chicks

10/ A sky blue **** mated to a grey hen produced 2 cobalt and 2 grey chicks. Can you explain where the cobalt came from? in order to get cobalt you have to have 1 dark factor , Sky blue is the result of NO dark factor, Grey factor is a color adding factor that is dark and strong overriding any underlying color So the Grey gives the 1 dark factor needed to make cobalt blue

11/ Would the any of the chicks resulting from mating a cinnamon hen to a normal **** that was not split for anything be cinnamon? yes, cinnamon is a sex linked gene, any visuals would be female (since the male isn't split to cinnamon and it would take both male and female carrying the gene for any males to be visual cinnamon)

12/ What mutation would the chicks be if a recessive pied was mated to a double factor spangle that was not split for anything?
Spangle is dominate So i'm going to assume so is Double Factor Spangle So I will say 50% Double factor Spangles and 50% recessive pied

·
Registered
944 Posts
Mabey if the other parent was mauve

7/ If an albino **** was mated to a lutino hen would any of the chicks be normals?
Yes, mabey?

8/ If neither bird was split for anything; What mutation would the chicks be if a recessive pied **** was mated to a cinnamon hen?
Some cinnamon, some pied.

No

10/ A sky blue **** mated to a grey hen produced 2 cobalt and 2 grey chicks. Can you explain where the cobalt came from?
No

11/ Would the any of the chicks resulting from mating a cinnamon hen to a normal **** that was not split for anything be cinnamon?
Yes, mabey.

Some of both

·
~Crazy Bird Lady~
2,309 Posts

no, even if bred to mauve the chicks would still only be cobalt

No, all would be ino

All chicks would be Normal split to Recessive Pied and all males would be split to Cinnamon

no, they would all be normal

Grey hen

no, males would be split for cinnamon but none would be visual

All would be spangles split to recessive pied.

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
6 - Yes i think if she breeds with another blue budgie that is split with mauve.
7 - No because they would both have the Chromosomes that have the ino
8 - Think it would they would be recessive pieds because the cinnamon is based in the X-Chromosomes
9 - No they would both have to be greywing
10 - Im just guessing that the dark factor of the grey one mixed witht he sky blue and made it colbalt i really dont know
11 - I think like 25% chance, if the hen had the cinnamon in the her X-Chromosome
12 - Spangled cause spangle is dominant

hah i dont know about any of these, these questions were harder:)

·
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Some rules to follow when answering inheritance questions

Recessive mutations must come from both parents to be visible
If one of the parents has no genes for the mutation then none of the chicks will show the mutation
If both parents are the recessive mutation - 100%
If 1 parent is the mutation & 1 is split for it - 50%
If both parents are split for the mutation - 25%

Green is dominant:
If it comes from 1 parent that is green not split for blue it shows in 100% of the chicks (all split)
If it comes from 1 parent that is green split for blue you get 50% green all split
If it comes from both parents that are green not split for blue 100% green (none split)
If 1 parent is green split for blue & the other is green not split - 50% green not split, 50% green split
If both parents are green split for blue - 50% green split, 25% green not split, 25% blue series

Dominant mutations need only come from 1 parent to show (works the same as green)
1 parent double factor - 100% single factor
1 parent single factor - 50% single factor
Both parents double factor - 100% double factor
If 1 parent is single factor & 1 is double factor - 50% double factor, 50% single factor
Both parents single factor - 50% single factor, 25% double factor, 25% don't have the mutation

Sex-linked mutations must come from the male to be visible
If sex linked mutations only comes from the male is only shows in female offspring
A female can't be split for a sex-linked mutation
If the male is the sex-linked mutation all his daughters will show it
If the male is split for the sex-linked mutation half of his daughters will show it
If the female is the sex-linked mutation and the male is split for it - half of both sexes will show it
If both are the sex-linked mutation - 100% of both sexes will be the mutation

Dark factor
Sky blue & light green have no dark factor
Cobalt & dark green have 1 dark factor
Mauve & olive have 2 dark factors
0 dark factor mated to 0 dark factor = 100% 0 dark factor
0 to 1 = 50% 0, 50% 1
0 to 2 = 100% 1
1 to 1 = 50% 1, 25% 0, 25% 2
1 to 2 = 50% 1, 50% 2
2 to 2 = 100% 2

These links might help:

http://www.talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=23230

http://www.talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=22668

http://www.***************/colorsguide.html

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
I am going to guess on the ones I might know without looking at the others answers. This should be humorous as I am so interested in genetics and sooooo dumbfounded.

6 A sky blue parent cannot produce a mauve chick. Even if their mate had 2 dark factors it would only be cobolt.

7 No?

8 ?

9 yes

10 the cobolts received on dark factor from the grey mom

11 ?

12 ?

Edit. Darn if I looked at the others answers, I would have seen you posted a clue sheet!! :)

·
Budgie Addict :)
6,526 Posts
Oh my. This is all well over my head.:eek: But it is very interesting to read. Sure it's very helpful to those who are wanting to learn all of this.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.